Topic: Multiple Forums on Single Domain?

Hi,
I'm new to the whole forum thing and to website development in general, so please speak to me like I am a novice.
I've built a site on Yahoo! using site builder (I know, everyone hates Yahoo! and a drag-and-drop program is amateur, but I'm a writer, not a programmer.  But, I am determined to do this).

Here's my question:  I'd like to add forums to my site.  I want one forum per city - Chicago, New York,
San Fran ect. - how do I do this?  I plan on adding about 20 categories to each forum i.e. housing, dining ect. 
Since there will be links to each board on my site's main page, it would be nice if someone in Chicago could also post to boards in other cities. 
Again, I'm a writer, not a programmer, and I don't have a lot of time to devote to this each day.  Am I in over-my-head?  Can anyone imagine a better way of achieving this.  Help!  Talk to me like I'm a child.
Thanks for your help

Re: Multiple Forums on Single Domain?

you can install one single copy of punbb, and create as many catagoryes as you want, and as many forums as you want.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Thanks for responding.
If I only download one copy of PunBB, and then create multiple boards, let's say one for each of 10 cities with 20 categories under each city, wouldn't I end up with a extremely long page - Chicago Forum, 2o topic categories, New York, 20 categories ect.
I would love to do it this way if I could just have visitors click on Chicago and then see the different categories, then click New York ect.
Any thoughts?

ChgoWriter wrote:

Thanks for responding.
If I only download one copy of PunBB, and then create multiple boards, let's say one for each of 10 cities with 20 categories under each city, wouldn't I end up with a extremely long page - Chicago Forum, 2o topic categories, New York, 20 categories ect.
I would love to do it this way if I could just have visitors click on Chicago and then see the different categories, then click New York ect.
Any thoughts?

well you could create one section and then install sub catorgrays like:

General (the catagory)
   -New York( The forum)
      -housing (the sub catagory)
      -dinner
   -Chicago
      -housing
      -dinner

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

matt1298 wrote:
ChgoWriter wrote:

Thanks for responding.
Any thoughts?

well you could create one section and then install sub catorgrays like:

General (the catagory)
   -New York( The forum)
      -housing (the sub catagory)
      -dinner
   -Chicago
      -housing
      -dinner

You'd need the subforum mod to do that.

P.S. moved to modifications

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

My 2c:

Aside from the technical issues of how to implement this, and as you say

I'm a writer, not a programmer, and I don't have a lot of time to devote to this each day

I think I'd reconsider this project, as it is likely to involve a lot of up-front technical effort to set it up, and then there will probably be a LOT of ongoing work managing the content on a daily basis, including moderation and also managing the **relentless** assaults of spammers on your forum(s). The more forums you have under one roof, as it were, the bigger these problems will be.

Quit while you are ahead, or change what you want to do to something more modest than re-inventing Craigslist using punbb smile