Topic: IPB Migration (Username problem)

I've been trying to migrate IPB to PunBB during the last couple of days.
The conversion is successful. However, the migration has problems with the display name feature on IPB.
The problem being that if you change the username on the migrated board, the posts still show the previous username/display name.

I've tried changing the name on the IPB before the migration, and although it all seems to have worked, when I run the rebuild cache and recount stats the username in posts reverts back!

I could do with finding a solution to this problem really because I have a very large memberlist and it's likely that somebody will request a display name change at some point.

Re: IPB Migration (Username problem)

There's no equivalent of display name in PunBB, username is what's used. Are you saying that when display name and username are different in IPB, when converting, posts show what display name was instead of the username?

Okay... There's a few issues.

(1) If you've been posting using the name "Admin" on your IPB, then migrate and change the name to "Me" it still shows as "Admin" in the posts. Even after running all the clean up tools.

(2) If you change the name to "Me" on the mother-board before migration, it still shows as Admin in the posts on the migrated board.

The main problem here for me is that my members (of over 8,000) have had the option to change their display name once a week, just for fun. Often they change it to something silly to represent their mood etc. It's not going to be great if their old posts are displayed with the display name they were using at the time of posting.

I've tested the migration a few times now but don't seem to be getting anywhere. As soon as I run the clean up and recount tools the post names are reverted.

So, is it using the username? Because if so, that's expected behavior: as I said, PunBB doesn't have a display name option.

5 (edited by Abercrombie 2007-10-13 08:37)

I'll test it some more later, but basically it seems that if you've posted using the name "Admin" and migrate those posts. Then change your name to "Me" on the new board. All migrated posts still show the posters name as "Admin"

So... All new posts would show the name change, but all migrated posts from the old board show the old name.