Topic: Silent edits don't work after migration to PHP5/mySQL5 from versions 4

When the Silent edit box is ticked, it suddenly shows:

Last edited by (1969-12-31 17:00:00)

instead of showing nothing, as before. Any ideas?

Re: Silent edits don't work after migration to PHP5/mySQL5 from versions 4

Have you edited the code? Because there's no reason that upgrade would change anything (in fact, it looks like an issue in viewtopic.php more than anything else, since it looks like you have an empty timestamp and editor name).

As far as I know, I haven't. It shows an empty timestamp and editor name because the checkmark for Silent Edit is on, if I uncheck it, it is stamped "Last edited by <myuserid> at <current timestamp>"

Yes, my point is that silent edit doesn't modify any of those details, so they're exactly the same as they were before the edit. Which brings me back to my original question, did you modify any code? wink

As far as I know, I haven't. I've added some mods, followed instructions carefully, etc. All I (think) I did was move to a new web host, who had version 5 of PHP/mySQL instead of the version 4 the old host had. Now that has caused a number of problems that are all fixed now.

Silent Edit used to not write anything at all to the post. If there was an edit before, it would leave the line alone, if there was no edited by before it would not add one.

Which is how the code works wink
Could you paste a copy of your edit.php and viewtopic.php?

I'm not at a computer where I can access the files, but I just noticed that all the posts written before I converted have "Last edited by <blank> on <1969-... >" which is why even silent edits are just being updated with blank (or real values if the mark is removed from the Silent Edit option.

So the error isn't in the silent editing but in the fact that posts that weren't edited (but simply posted one time only) got the last edited by value set during the conversion. I'm thinking the fix would then be to update the database somehow. Does this make sense?

Well, yes, if somehow the default values got changed