Topic: Install Error #(10061)

I am new to PunBB... so new I have not yet succeeded to install it. 

Current Setup:

Development Box OS: Windows 2000 Server (English)

Running User Account: (OS Built-in) Administrator

PHP: 4.4.7 (I tried 5.2, but couldn't get mysql running, thus 4.4.7 which has mysql integrated support) -- info.php works fine... mysql "appears" installed correctly.

PunBB: 1.2.16 (install.php form appears fine...)

The following test.php shows mysql appears to be installed correctly:

<?php

$si = function_exists('mysql_connect');
  if ($si)
  {
    echo "MySQL appears to be installed correctly<br/>\n";
  }
  else
  {
    echo <<<EOM
       Whooops! MySQL does not appear to be compiled or enabled
       properly!<br/>
EOM;
  }

?>

When I run PunBB's install.php, PunBB's install form appears, and I fill in the entry boxes...

BUT... when I click on submit, I get the following message:

An error occured on line 58 in file
X:\Forum\include\dblayer\mysql.php.

PunBB reported: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

I've given my Forum folder read, write and script execute rights... where might I start tweaking to get to install PunBB?  Any help that can be provided will be much appreciated. 

Does the mysql Database user need to be an existing OS user account?  Or is this unrelated to the PunBB install? Does it have to have administrator rights?

The PunBB Troubleshooting Section has about 147 pages, and I can't search for the key word 10061... thus this post crying for help...

Thank you

Re: Install Error #(10061)

If you want to use MySQL, you need to install a MySQL server as well, not just enable the PHP extension.

the database must be created first in mysql, and a user must have access to it! You most likly havnt got the information correct or set mysql up

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Make sure MySQL has been started.

Thank you for your kind suggestions.   It seems Mat1298 hit the target... I noticed the install form says the mysql database must exist.  I presume mysql engine is installed and running in my dev box because the test.php statement  "$si = function_exists('mysql_connect');" returns "true" (so PHP can access the mysql function.)

< mysql database for PunBB >

Now, I've got the book "SQL for Dummies" in front of me, and it seems I need to do a "create schema... " and I'm lost how to do that...

From where (which app?) should I run the sql "create schema" command?

Is there a free SQL frontend that I can download somewhere to create the mysql database that PunBB can use?

What character set should I specify for the database for PunBB (running only in English)? Ascii?

Is there a database structure (fields) that I need to specify when I create the mysql database so that PunBB can use it? (or will a Create Schema be enough for PunBB to work on?)

I'm sorry for asking too many questions, but the "SQL for Dummies" book really makes me feel like a true dummy...

< sqlite for PHP/PunBB >

PERHPAS it might be easier if I use sqlite since PunBB, it seems, will create the database automatically. 

So my question about sqlite is...

How do I install sqlite support in PHP4.4.7 ? If there is a URL around that will guide me through this, I would very much appreciate hearing from the PunBB community. 

Thank you very much.

The fact that the MySQL function exists means that you have the PHP extension for MySQL enabled, NOT that you are connecting to a valid MySQL server.

Do so lots of working don't worth.
Andn trying sqllite may not so easy you think.
That i know if you installed LAMP,(so many Linux package have the default installing of php mysql and apache.
Maybe we got easy after we changed to linux server.there is more documents and support resources on that.

You don't need to worry about database tables/schema etc. All you have to do is create an empty database, PunBB will do the rest when you run install.

If you want to run php/mysql on windows you would be much better using xamp or wamp which have one click installs and widgets for controlling everything.