Topic: Question about 1.3

A little question... Shoot me down if I should not ask.

But on the new 1.3 will the following be staying...

<ul>
            <li><a href="#pun-main1">Skip to forum content</a></li>
            <li><a href="#pun-navlinks">Skip to forum navigation</a></li>
        </ul>

The only reason I ask is that google indexs that content before the meta tag on the index page. tongue

Its not a bug... so I wasnt sure if to mention it. Sorry guys.

Re: Question about 1.3

I think it's an accessibility thing.

But it would be nice if it'd be set to visibility: none; or so.

Yes, it's an accessibility thing. And Google doesn't care what comes first as much as it cares about the stuff in h1, h2, etc. It's not going to be an issue, trust me.
And Bekko: if you want, you can tweak that in your stylesheet. However, the color is set the way it is so that the links don't distract a normal user but are still there for a user using a screen reader. Setting is visibility: none (I think) would hide it from screen readers.

4 (edited by StevenBullen 2007-12-12 00:28)

Smartys wrote:

Yes, it's an accessibility thing. And Google doesn't care what comes first as much as it cares about the stuff in h1, h2, etc. It's not going to be an issue, trust me.

Cheers

EDIT:
One more quick question...
Why cant the mod_rewrite do this...

http://www.example.co.uk/Test-forum/

intead of this

http://www.example.co.uk/forum1-Test-forum.html

Just curious. tongue
i.e. Folder based (fancy) if thats even possible.

For a couple reasons:
A. What happens when I have two identically named forums?
B. It makes the actual text after forum# irrelevant: you can change the name of the forum and keep the same link
C. If we're given the ID in the URL like that, we don't have to do a scan through the forums table for all forums matching that name.

6 (edited by eramus 2007-12-12 01:05)

Smartys wrote:

For a couple reasons:
A. What happens when I have two identically named forums?
B. It makes the actual text after forum# irrelevant: you can change the name of the forum and keep the same link
C. If we're given the ID in the URL like that, we don't have to do a scan through the forums table for all forums matching that name.

I addressed this in my version of punbb.

A. If you have a non-unique forum title. append the forum id. That will automatically make it unique (obviously still need to check it ... but 99 times out of 100 it will be true)
-- Forum named: The Main Forum => "the-main-forum" (id 1)
-- Forum named: The Main Forum => "the-main-forum-2" (id 2)

C. My solution was to create an md5 hash of the url part and save the hash in a char(32) with a unique index
-- id = 1 -- 288c7cc23607ce5096d62bbe7c7afb1e
-- id = 2 -- 3f93a8178bb0650749b12ee235c15f98

C. b) I dont really see this becoming a problem for the forum link lookup (unless there are millions of forums hehe), but it could become problematic for the topic link lookup (both work the same way), but we can go ahead and eliminate a considerable amount of threads if we know the forum id. Millions of topics is reasonable, but isnt that why we are able to build db clusters with quad-core processors and scsi drives? smile

Another thing might be what if you have an actual folder end up the same as a thread/forum title.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Here is the css for making it invisible for normal visitors but visible to screen readers. The links just need a css class like .invisible:

.invisible {
 position: absolute;
 left: -1000px;
 top: -1000px;
 width: 0;
 height: 0;
 overflow: hidden;
 display: inline;
}

Maybe you could change it???

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Just use #pun-access a.

lie2815 wrote:

Here is the css for making it invisible for normal visitors but visible to screen readers. The links just need a css class like .invisible:

.invisible {
 position: absolute;
 left: -1000px;
 top: -1000px;
 width: 0;
 height: 0;
 overflow: hidden;
 display: inline;
}

Maybe you could change it???

They are not particularly for screen reader users, they are for anybody who has to navigate using the keyboard instead of a mouse.

I tend to think either you care about accessibility in which case you leave them or you don't care in which case better to just remove the relevant item from main.tpl.

They just skip past the navlinks, no?

By the way, when I try it with Lynx (and thus with the keyboard), it just skips back to the first link...

The links are slightly broken at the moment I think, since Paul is in the middle of a lot of HTML/CSS reworking smile