Topic: Style naming help needed

I'm not very fond of the current naming of the styles (Light and Blue, Dark and Green ...). What should they be called instead? I was thinking of using some form of "uniform naming scheme". They could i.e. be named after cities or planets. Does that sound like a good idea?

Examples:
- Chicago, Kairo, Vancouver, Berlin ...
- Neptune, Mars, Saturn, Mercury ...
- Delta, Lambda, Omega, Gamma ...

What do you think?

Note: This is the last change I am planning before the release of 1.0 RC 2.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: Style naming help needed

I'll think "Neptune, Mars, Saturn, Mercury" was kinda nice.

But you should if you take like "Mars" make the style red, like the planet mars. smile

I have more or less decided on using the names of the elements (from the periodic table). This is what I have come up with so far:

Light and Blue = Oxygen
Dark and Green = Radium
Dark and Yellow = Mercury
Dark and Blue = Cobalt
New "Light and Green" = Lithium
New "Light and Red" = Sulfur

How does that sound?

Edit: Switched two of them and added a second new style.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Sounds nice to me.

Ok, good. You and a few people on IRC gave their thumbs up, so that'll do :-)

Can't you add the new styles in this forum? smile

Workstation:Debian GNU/Linux & Windows XP, PIII 1Ghz, 384MB RAM, 120GB (WD), AOpen GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB, SB Live! 5.1,
Server: Debian GNU/Linux, PII 300Mhz, 192MBRAM, 7.5+43GB

I will when I update to RC2 (which will hopefully be today).

How about
Plutonium - green/dark grey/yellow
Astatine - dark grey/black/white

9 (edited by Louis 2004-02-11 01:09)

All I can say is that to me, the most confusing aspect of the PunBB User Interface is the colour scheme selection. You don't have a clue what they are besides these element names from the periodic table. Maybe we could do something like this:

http://texturizer.net/firefox/themes/

True. In the first betas of PunBB they were called "Light and Blue", "Dark and Green" etc. I didn't like that.

What about that link to texturizer.net? Do you mean we should have thumbnails of all the styles in profile.php? In that case, no no no :D

toby wrote:

How about
Plutonium - green/dark grey/yellow
Astatine - dark grey/black/white

Nice name to them wink

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------
---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

Rickard wrote:

Do you mean we should have thumbnails of all the styles in profile.php? In that case, no no no :D

But think of the usability enhancement! Besides, all it would cost is a couple of bytes of CSS -- err ah, never mind. It was a bad example anyway, since it used JavaScript. I was thinking of just using CSS with a :hover effect applied ... but anyway ;)

I like the idea with the cities, although it doesn't say anything about the colours.