Topic: Forum changes width

Hi.

I posted earlier about "my" forum, and got some great pointers on how to embed it with my layout using the templates.

Well, I got another problem. The forum pages changes in width, wich messes up my layout.

Almost all the time, the forum is about 5 centimeters too wide. But on some pages, such as the login page, the width is exactly the way I want it.

Anyone of you guys that can help me fix this?

The forum is at: http://ettannatlopp.nu/forum

I set up a test user, user: tester and pwd tester

Try to login using tester and then logout. Then you´ll see what I mean. I cant figure it out.

/Mattias

/Mattias
Project manager Ett Annat Lopp
http://www.ettannatlopp.nu

Re: Forum changes width

The only thing I guess might be the trouble are the sizes on the input and textarea fields.  As they 'force' the cells to be larger.

What resolution do you normally use it with? (I need to shrink it to like 800x600 to start to experience problems, at my normal 1100 I didn't have any problems at all)

A tip is to disable the quickpost option, or shrink the textarea size. And I think it's these input fields that messes everything up for you. And going through all the input fields and shrink them is probably not that easy. (or are they CSS:ed? does CSS work with input tags?)

Perhaps using frames is an option? (as then the border on the right won't be moved, but the scrollbar will be in the frame for the forum instead)

3 (edited by Paul 2004-02-26 17:03)

Frank, he has the opposite problem i.e. the forum is not shrinking at all so it is causing a horizontal scrollbar. There is probably an unwanted fixed width in there somewhere. I will have a look at the source and stylesheet and see if I can find it.

EDIT
There are more problems than you think. The forum actually works perfectly in Firefox/Mozilla but your contact page is broken.

Paul wrote:

Frank, he has the opposite problem i.e. the forum is not shrinking at all so it is causing a horizontal scrollbar.

Yes, and the input fields is forcing cells to be larger than the 'window' allows, thus making a scrollbar for the whole page (so that the rightmost 'bar' is pushed off screen.

This will also happen for those really long posts, or if an image is wide ... so even if the input fields are minimized so they won't affect it ... images in post or looong words can still push the rightmost stuff of the page off the browser...

With using frames, and putting the forum in that instead, what will happen is that the forum gets a scrollbar, and the rightmost 'bar' on the page design stays where it's supposed to be.

Frank, I dont get it. It's his index and viewforum pages which are screwed in IE and they don't have any input/texarea fields. The pages with input fields are actually displaying correctly in IE though the opposite is happening in Firefox.

6 (edited by Frank H 2004-02-26 17:42)

ah... well I used firefox when checking .... so that might be the reason we see different problems ... wink

Silly me. I think this is the good old IE width bug rearing its ugly head again. Now for the difficult bit i.e tracking it down.

Paul wrote:

EDIT
There are more problems than you think. The forum actually works perfectly in Firefox/Mozilla but your contact page is broken.

Yeah, I saw that last night. Should be fixed this weekend though. Or actually it works, its just the thanx/redirect page thats missing (wrong filename)

/Mattias

/Mattias
Project manager Ett Annat Lopp
http://www.ettannatlopp.nu

Same problems here! When i was looking at code, I saw some fixed wodths in there somewhere, but i can't remember where