1 (edited by zentropy 2008-02-22 16:30)

Topic: [Sub Forum Mod] Automated creation of sub-forums

We have integrated our website with punbb.(Registration & login/logout)
What we're trying to do now is the following.

We have implemented the Sub Forum Mod to our punbb forum and are trying to automatically add new sub-forums. The reason for this is that users on our website can create projects. Other users can join those projects. What we intend to do is automatically create a new sub-forum every time a user creates a new project. So that is goal 1.

Goal 2 is that once other users have joined an existing project they can enter the sub forum. Though if they have not joined a particular project, then they are not allowed to enter the sub-forum of that particular project.

So my questions regarding this are as follows:

1) Where should i look to see how (Sub)-Forums are created, so that i can automate the process. (Where is the code for that, in which file and around which line?)

2) When a user tries to enter a sub-forum i want to execute a piece of PHP code that pulls the names of users out of our database which have joined that particular project and then match those names against the name of the logged in user that tries to enter the particular sub-forum and in that way determine if he/she may enter the sub-forum or not.
In order to do this i need to know where the code is positioned that handles a user entering a sub-forum. Once i know that i might be able to add to that code. Does anyone happen to know in what file that code is handled and around which line?

3) Can anyone provide me with advice/tips regarding this in general?

2 (edited by zentropy 2008-02-22 16:31)

Re: [Sub Forum Mod] Automated creation of sub-forums

*bump*

this would be possible...will require allot of coding though.

On say a create_project.php (you can use some of the code from the admin stuff) and make a new table... then a new user privilage...and then set the user group to the new rank. The only down side with this: admins/mods wont be able to use it, though they will see the forum anyway... im just thinking that is is too much modifcation to do to viewforum.php without effecting the other forums..?

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

I'd still like to know where the code is handled for creating a (sub)forum and where the actual link is created on which users click to enter the (sub)forum.
Does anyone happen to know?

zentropy wrote:

I'd still like to know where the code is handled for creating a (sub)forum and where the actual link is created on which users click to enter the (sub)forum.
Does anyone happen to know?

forums.php for the forums index listing, and admin_forums.php for the forum generation.