1 (edited by cipher 2004-03-04 03:37)

Topic: A simpler punBB

I don't know if anyone has done this as yet but what i want is to make punBB simpler so that websites that have a members only area don't need to have people visiting the forum as though it was a separate website and logining again. it just needs to give all options to the regular members and send the admin to the admin pages if their membertype is at the admin level. Also with only one skin.

Re: A simpler punBB

I don't get it. Could you try to explain in a different way? What do mean by "simpler"?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I think he means that PunBB will be integrated into web pages that are already protected by the sites own membership system. That being the case anybody who gets to PunBB must already be a member of the site so PunBB should automatically treat them as logged in members or admins as appropriate.

As for the skins, just delete the unwanted .css files and the skins are gone.

exactly paul. so do u know if there are any scripts available for download that are like that?

hey rickard do you have any such scripts propably from when you were creating the full version of the forum.

6 (edited by Paul 2004-03-05 00:20)

I think you'll find that most people do it the other way round i.e. they use PunBB's membership system to create a site wide login system. That way you can login to PunBB from anywhere on your site and use it to protect parts of your site. I haven't seen anything that will do what you want.

yea i was thinking about doing it the other way around too cuz it will also be easier that way but i think i will adjust the code so that it works as though someone was logged in for general use but with an admin part, then put that in the members only area.