Topic: mail troubles

hey everybody.  been a little while.

anyway i recently upgraded my server and had to reinstall my php.ini.

when new users register for my board they get this message.

Warning: mail(): "sendmail_from" not set in php.ini or custom "From:" header missing in C:\Inetpub\fatalthugs site\forum\include\email.php on line 79

basicly i tried setting everything both ways in my options menu (without anything in the smtp server address and with or without username and password encryption.)

the error says to make sure sendmail is set in my php.ini soo heres the code from that.

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = sporkit150@ameritech.net

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
;sendmail_path =

yes im using a win2k server but i have no idea why it would do this.  ive restarted and everything.

any suggestions?

Re: mail troubles

ohh k.  well i guess i sorta got it to work.

i basicly entered the smtp address of an older mail server in php.ini.  however, i know the old address i was using worked correctly because i use it with outlook.  i have no idea why it would be so picky.

anyway, i was wondering whats stopping somebody from setting my email address and smtp in php.ini and spamming. or am i missunderstaning something?

Re: mail troubles

Well, if you enter an SMTP server i admin/options, it doesn't matter what you have in your php.ini. PunBB manually contacts your SMTP server and sends the e-mail. If you don't enter an SMTP server in PunBB, PHP will send the mail for you using the SMTP server entered in your php.ini.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."