1 (edited by actorj 2003-12-16 21:54)

Topic: using punbb as a new funtion

is there a way to extract the contents of one thread or forum and integrate them on a hopepage as a news posting funtion? I know there are mods for phpBB that do this.

Also, what type of system are you using to post news on the punbb homepage?

Re: using punbb as a new funtion

I imagine its possible, but wouldn't it be easier to just use something that was designed to be a Content Management System such as Mambo?

I've thought about doing this before, I can see how it may work, just haven't got around to working on it.

And for your last point: As a guess, Kennel will clear it up though, I think he will probably just update the homepage by just typing it out in Dreamweaver or whatever. There isn't ever much news and so a complete CMS seems a little OTT.

I'm probably wrong on all counts though!

Like vBulletin does, you select the news room then the databse reads all posts in that room and the thread title is the news headline and the text is the news article. then it tells you how many comments (replys) you have ' 23 Comments '.

---------> PLEASE REMEMBER I GOT THE FIRST EVER POST OF PUNBB 1.1! <---------

That was my idea tongue

So its just a re-hash of the "Recent Discussions" script?

i have been trying to find a decent  news system, but I am frustrated. I just can't seem to find one that is both well written *and* simply and streamlined and easy to integrate into my design.

That it, I want PunNews!!!!

I will give it some though. Perhaps for 1.2? :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The best I have found is Mambo, but even that can be complicated!

C'mon Kennel big_smile

THINKING OF 1.2 ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111

How about getting this one ready first?!

it would be very excellent inddeed. I can think of a million uses for being able to display potions of the forum on other webpages.

(okay, maybe not a million)

I'd rather not. Version 1.1 is coming out quite soon and things will change somewhat. Once that is out, I will be glad to help.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2467

It will with 95% certainty be released before new years eve.

so now that punbb 1.1 is out, how about helping us out? smile

I'll be glad to help. That doesn't mean I will write the whole thing for you. Ask questions and I will answer them as good as I can.

How do I make extern.php print the first message of every topic it displays?

I tried adding a $cur_topic['message'] in there, but of course I failed.
I looked in viewtopic.php to see that it fetched all the messages in the topic and sorted them by the time they were posted, so I tried that but failed miserably with a " Error: Unable to fetch post info." and I got stuck.

Any suggestions?
Snackiz