Topic: what is the difference right now...

what is the difference right now... between fluxbb 1.3 and punbb13 ?

does all the extension work with either?

and can we get a clean list of extension that works with punbb1.3 rc..

p.s. lets stop hating..  we might not like what has happen here, but learn to get over it... or move on.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

2 (edited by MattF 2008-06-24 15:44)

Re: what is the difference right now...

quaker wrote:

p.s. lets stop hating..  we might not like what has happen here, but learn to get over it... or move on.

Scott. Hate is not a factor. It is pure and utter frustration and annoyance in regards to their 'stomp on everything attitude' whilst at the same time ignoring everything which they cannot see a direct commercial benefit from. They appear to have found a fast method to stomp on every accepted aspect of what Open Source infers in one fell swoop on this board.

Truth be told, I'm coming to the conclusion that they are purposefully trying to drive everyone away from this board so that the FluxBB board will take on the responsibility of helping users whilst this company just continues using the Flux code as is with their expansions chucked in as a commercial product.
Call me a pessismistic devil, but they appear to be trying to keep their cake whilst eating it, i.e: minimal amount of core coding, (if any at all), no user support and commercial gain from least work required.

This commercialization of Open Source projects appears to be a pandemic.

Wordpress and Drupal getting millions has investors clamoring to buy the next big thing. More and more I'm seeing commercial entities buying up small projects, for better or worse. I can't understand why they just don't sponsor their favorite project and nudge it in the direction they want.

What happened here, in PunBB land, is that a commercial entity accustomed to closed source software, bought up the rights to the PHP code, that's all. They didn't lock up the programmers or long time support personnel, no they just saw value in the code.

What should of happened here was an embrace of the community by the current owners, we would of embraced them back, we would of welcomed our new overlords.

quaker wrote:

1. what is the difference right now... between fluxbb 1.3 and punbb13 ?
2. does all the extension work with either?
3. and can we get a clean list of extension that works with punbb1.3 rc..

1. Two differences: extension version notifications system and no new Paul's markup.
2. Yes, in most cases.
3. Here it is: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=19370
We'll start to approve third-party extension to be published in our repository soon.

Carpe diem

MattF wrote:

Truth be told, I'm coming to the conclusion that they are purposefully trying to drive everyone away from this board so that the FluxBB board will take on the responsibility of helping users whilst this company just continues using the Flux code as is with their expansions chucked in as a commercial product.
Call me a pessismistic devil, but they appear to be trying to keep their cake whilst eating it, i.e: minimal amount of core coding, (if any at all), no user support and commercial gain from least work required.

Sorry, but I have replied this many times and I don't think you are correct.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

Sorry, but I have replied this many times and I don't think you are correct.

If you carry on responding to users posts with the same efficiency you have been doing over the last day or so, I may actually start to believe you. big_smile Btw, that isn't a sarcastic comment. It is actually good to see you responding to users questions finally. smile

MattF wrote:

If you carry on responding to users posts with the same efficiency you have been doing over the last day or so, I may actually start to believe you. :D Btw, that isn't a sarcastic comment. It is actually good to see you responding to users questions finally. :)

Thanks.
Yup, I'm going to keep it up and we'll involve more official developers into this process day by day :)

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

Yup, I'm going to keep it up and we'll involve more official developers into this process day by day smile

That is extremely good to hear. smile

MattF wrote:

That is extremely good to hear. smile

Yes, it is Matt. More moderators I see coming on board to help out the users.

Now if we could get a page on the official site with a little something about each of the moderators, developers, etc. Maybe even a picture of Anatoly doing a bbq in the backyard, anything to let us know who we're talking with.

That's one thing that's lacking in some projects, not just at PunBB. Heck, even the former developer's own web pages are nowhere to be found, only Rickard has his own page, everybody else is in hiding.

Here's Automattic's about page, don't they look like happy millionaires? Except Alex Shiels, but he's never been a happy camper wink

hcgtv wrote:

Now if we could get a page on the official site with a little something about each of the moderators, developers, etc. Maybe even a picture of Anatoly doing a bbq in the backyard, anything to let us know who we're talking with.

http://punbb.informer.com/about/anatoly.jpg
BBQ is in front of me tongue

"About" page is being prepared yet.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

"About" page is being prepared yet.

Cool, we get to see who's behind PunBB.

hcgtv, most of these guys are a way lot younger than we are...

what do they know about an old school BBQ?

Q

quaker wrote:

hcgtv, most of these guys are a way lot younger than we are...

Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news: the good news is
that you are not a hypochondriac.

lol.... what not new doc?

http://256studio.com/pun13/gallery.php

let me know what ya think?

Q