Topic: spam ..again

Hi,
Sorry if this is old  but I am getting spam posts where the users are not registered and do not show up in the DB as users.
I have set it up so users have to be registered to post.
Any way to fix this ?
Thanks
Lawrie

2 (edited by sirena 2008-07-19 02:05)

Re: spam ..again

You mean you requires users to register, but people appear to be posting [spam] when they aren't valid users?

In the past where this has happened (there have been a few posts about it on this forum) it has usually been because there was a 2nd copy of punbb installed on the same server and using the same database settings. Eg one guy installed punbb in one directory while he was setting up/testing his forum, then installed it again in another directory but kept the same database settings etc. And both were accessible from the web.

Maybe something like that is the culprit here?

Also, what do your web server access logs reveal - eg about the URL's the visitors went to on your site in order to post?

Hi,
Been away so sorry for not posting.
No duplicate forum and entry url's are the forum post page. (forum/post.php)
When I click thsat link I get a 'you need to register' page where they obviously get straight in.
Thanks
Lawrie

OK,
This gets stranger.
I have settings where guests cannot post a new topic or reply...yet I cn when logged out.
That is what is letting the spmmers in.
Any advice?
Thanks

Hmmm. All I can suggest is that you check your forum configuration again - in particular looking carefully at the admin area options Administration >Forums then edit the permissions for guests etc in the required forums (can Read forums /Post replies/ Post topics etc).

Also have a look under Admin > User groups > Guests and check that you don't have guests allowed to post. Check up on your other User group settings too to make sure they are doing what you want them to.

Thanks for your help smile
I have checked permissions and guests are only allowed to read posts.
I have checked DB and this is the same.
The only anomoly I have seen is that the table forum_perms is empty.
I will install the forum on another site, check DB, insert data and transfer DB to existing site.
Lawrie

I found that the Guest entry in the users table was corrupted.
Once sorted everything is fine.
Must have been me at one stage but cannot work out why I even went there.
Sorry for the confusion.
Regards
Lawrie