1 (edited by Jolie 2008-09-06 07:32)

Topic: How much Programming skills are needed?

Hello all,
This is my first post here at punBB and I must congratulate you guys for providing us with an awesome forum building tools, out of your own interest.

I have been planning to create a art-based forum community for long, and I think now I will have few weeks to seriously put efforts into this mini-project. I know a little of C++, and Java but I would not call myself a professional programmer per se.

Now that I am at a stage to begin work right from scratch with nothing already built with me except few ideas, I need to know how much programming knowledge is necessary to develop a fully functional forum website? I do plan to include all the popular mods for my forum.

Also, the most important question here is how to stay clear from hackers? Does punBB comes equipped with some sort of default safety measures or do I have to learn some ethical hacking tricks myself and employ those to my forums in order to shoo-off the ever-interested hackers.

Any help is welcome to a no0b. smile

- Jolie

Re: How much Programming skills are needed?

btw I have already downloaded punbb-1.2.20, Apache HTTP Server 2.2.9. and right now I am trying to figure out how to configure the apache server. cool

u have apache program?

knowledge is symbol of power

kurdish discuss for IT website

I would reccomendd you look at fluxbb, www.fluxbb.org Its the same as punbb but with a bigger and better community..

I also woundt download and install php/mysql/apach ( which is what punbb/fluxbb needs) and set them up your self, I use pre comiled software such as wamp which is a installable websever for your local pc.

Punbb is 99.9% hacker safe, same with any forum software, you cannot garantee somone in a few years time wont make a hack to get in, but for now, there arnt any, the only thing you will have to install is some sort of spam filter to stop people signing up and posting a lot of rubbish.

Please be aware the 1.2.20 ISNT this forum, This is 1.3 beta, so it will look allot diffrent.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Hello Utchin,
Thanks for your reply and recommendation. By bigger n better community, I understand, you're referring to more number of people available to help, also with more accessories for the forum.

I have been to one phpBB site, which I didn't like very much, and one punBB site, which I really liked and they had an awesome style/theme too. How's fluxBB different from these two in general?

On you reco, I am completing my registration at fluxBB now. smile

- Jolie

Its a long story, and if your feeling up to it you can find it all out at http://punbb.informer.com/history.php

But the main developers who designed and created punbb have made a fork, called Fluxbb, so as you can tell the forums are almost the same, they are just ran by different people. the reason I say move to fluxbb is because There aint that many people on this site that can help you, I hop between punbb and fluxbb forums because of the split and if you posted a problem here then you wouldn t get much help.

And the community is nothing like phpbb wink Its allot smaller, better and friendlier.

And in reply to how much skill is needed, For  both 1.2.* and 1.3, You just need common sense. However if you want to start customising and modding your forum allot to how you want it, it all depends on how far you go.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Sure, the point is noted and I have already posted there the same post. tongue

See you there.