Topic: special forum that send to an e-mail address (willing to pay!)

OK, here's what I need...  (I'd be willing to pay someone to do this for me... or even to help me...)

I need to make one of my forums (announcements) special...

On the post page (for that forum only), in the 'options' box, the user should have a choice of 'Send to: List A or List B'  or both using check boxes.  When the post is made, the forum sends a copy of the message (with a unique .tpl) to the e-mail addresses associated with List A and List B (one address for A and one address for B).

The reason is that our e-mailing list is handled separately from the forum but we want all important forum announcements to go out on the appropriate lists so that folks don't have to make the announcement twice...  as it is now, I have added forum subscription to my forum and have the list addresses subscribed to that forum... the solution described above lets users decide if the announcement should be released to the list and eliminates double mails (if someone is subscribed to the list AND the forum)

anyone feel like tackling this?

it will require modifying post.php (special choices, etc.) and, I think, adding a function to misc.php to do the mailing?  Also, the forum subscription feature will have to be disabled for the announcements forum.

I don't mind hardcoding the addresses, but it would be nice to have them on the admin panel... and to designate the forumID to use...

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com

Re: special forum that send to an e-mail address (willing to pay!)

I'm actually working on a 2 way integration between PunBB and Mailman. Posts in certain forums will also be sent to mailing lists and I'm writing code to check e-mail accounts and add those messages to the appropriate forums (and threads if possible).

I eval'ed a number of systems before deciding I liked PunBB enough that I'd just build the integration myself. smile

More here: http://www.alexking.org/blog/2004/04/02 … ing-lists/

That's sounds like it would suit my purposes exactly!!  I haven't had a chance to check the link you provided, but keep up the good work!!

any news Alex?

Yep: http://www.alexking.org/blog/2004/04/14 … -progress/