Topic: Can´t get rid of this spam

Hey,

i got a problem with my PunBB 1.2.15.
As soon as I allow guests to write posts, the whole forum will be full of spam within a few minutes. It is always the same spam containing links and pictures. I am using a captcha and the Akismet software and additionaly I don´t allow guests to enter links or pics in their posts. But even though there is spam. And now I am wondering, how this spam can be inserted into the database. Could there be some programm that has settled down into my forum system? Because there is no chance that it is entered via the usual post field. How can I get rid of it?

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanx

2 (edited by colak 2009-01-26 06:56)

Re: Can´t get rid of this spam

I had the same problem with 1.2.x which eventually forced me to close down new registrations and only allow existing forum members to post. 1.3.x seems that it has solved the problem. For how long? I don't know, as captcha can now be broken by bots very easily. Check out decaptcher.com. Carnegie Mellon University is working on alternative systems which might sort this out but IMHO I don't think that captcha is the longterm way to go to prevent spam.

im running a 1.2 forum for years so your probelm i ever experienced.
i just suggeste you install a mod named "spamword" from punres.org
then just copy the keyword of theses spam content,paste to your "spamword" list. so any posts with these keywords could not been even posted.

Thanx for your answers,

the problem is, that I think just by adding a "spamword"- function the spam will still be added into the forum. Because I allready have the function, which doesn´t allow guests to enter links or pics, but still the spam does contain links and pics. So somehow the spam gets into the database without having to pass the function which checks for links.

I think, I will try to use the version 1.3 first, maybe it will help. Is there a way to update my old version to 1.3 or do I have to do a complete new installation? How can I keep the topics and articles?

5 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-26 13:39)

http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … ions-page/

shld help...
you shldn't loose anything except your style (?) and mods

also remember to backup first. Furthermore remember to move any avatars/images/whatever in the new install

7 (edited by qie 2009-01-27 04:40)

Mona342:
                       reminds that if you always keep guest posting permission,there always be SPAM,but not concerned any version of a forum used.

you should disabel global "link display or image display". then just add "http" to your spamword lists.
i do this lol