1 (edited by SuperMAG 2009-01-30 13:37)

Topic: Extension Ideas (For free people who want good ideas)

I see that Punbb is very quite these few days, i thought if they dont have any good extension ideas, then we can suggest them here. Ok here is few ideas of mine.

1- Brodocast Email. (Very usefull one. some can port that to an extension, and make few changes like, HTML allowed, and send xx number of emails per minute)

2- Ajax Comment Posting. (will be very cool extension)

3- Ajax Edit replays (check here: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … post-edit/ i think daris is gone and he is not supporting this anymore, so may be some can update it)

4- Ajax/javascript Quick Search Box (in vbulletin, when you click on search button, it shows a box with search options, and if the javascript is blocked in browser, it opens the page, i think it will be very cool, and you will not have to reload the search page every time you search)

5- Ads Management (check my topic here: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/topic/ … anagement/ )

i think these ideas are all i have in my mind now, Three of them are ajax related lol, you can combine them and release ajaxed punbb extension if you like. What are your Ideas?

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: Extension Ideas (For free people who want good ideas)

This is why we have the wiki page for

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

3 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-30 17:31)

It really does need some kind of ranking or votes system to know which are really needed.

On those 5 extensions - if someone helps Cereal to OO-fy Pun 1. 3 - those will be easier I think to do. ( All ajax based ones.)

@supermag

1st one : that's one that existed as mod for 1.2 - in this and this it's being discussed. Or will be discussed.

Ajax Framework is being discussed and for me personally is extremely high priority. I hope devs help in any way they can.

Most users are aching for more ajax stuff. In that way they can be added as extensions and not make pun 1.3 slow. Hopefully.

Also in that discussion is a post with all ajax requests. Add those to that list.

This post is just distraction otherwise smile

Utchin wrote:

This is why we have the wiki page for

sorry, didn't know about that, but the wiki seems to be away from its place, i mean, how many people use punbb wiki, it should be official topic or some thing like that.

thanks keydog for clearing the extensions which you dev intend to make.

but is there any one making the 5th one, its a very important extension.

thanks

5 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-30 17:37)

It really depends what kind of ads your running.
which do you intend
for every country it's different. unless you wanted google ads (which i personally dislike)

Most of those sites with google ads probably piss more people off though having them than making any money from them (my view)

If you're serious about pro ads you should have someone customize the template for you? or speak to your advertiser that he gives you formats then you put them in divs in template?

Maybe I'm wrong on googleads - but does anyone here make money with them on their forum????

6 (edited by SuperMAG 2009-01-30 18:36)

its not about the type of ads, its the placement. you can choose the ads by just pasting the ads code.

actually its not a full day job, it saves a few bucks, like 100$ per month is good enough for me.

i mean i collected 1000$ past year and buyed a new laptop. before that i replaced my old mobile with new one (6500 Slide)

for average school boy, i think its worth putting ads on site that you enjoy doing work in it.

and about customized ads, i think its hard (almost impossible) to find good advertisers. so yes google ads are good enough.

i know i can put ads by customizing template files which i did, but somethings cant be done by templates too, like:

1- Showing ads after x number of posts in a view like post itself. check this: http://www.punres.org/viewtopic.php?id=664
2- Disabling ads for certain group of users using group permission.

i think these two reasons are good enough to make an extension. which most of the code can come from old 1.2 mods. and that will save people from modifying their templates too.

Maybe I'm wrong on googleads - but does anyone here make money with them on their forum????

Yes. £50 - £100 Per month, Ads on most pages pages, A forum (not punbb/flux sad ) which has 15,000 hits per month.

8 (edited by KeyDog 2009-01-30 19:11)

yeah that's cool. covers hosting and goes towards hardware smile

can see in which cases that is useful

KeyDog wrote:

yeah that's cool. covers hosting and goes towards hardware

can see in which cases that is useful

I was sold the site for about £500 and it payed for itself in a matter of months. It also has featured listings (£20 a year) and paid advertisements slots where people pay £300 - £400 for a space on the site.

As a website owner yes they are good, but a user not so good.

big_smile nice move ... business man in you smile