1 (edited by Noom 2009-02-05 10:24)

Topic: peculiars like "♥" don't work on 1.3.2?

Hello

Since i updated the forum version  ascii-combinations like alt+3 ( ♥ ) alt+0172 (¬) etc. don't work anymore. Why is this? Can I fix this?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated smile

edit: since it works in here, there must be a way to fix it lol

edit2: those symbols are displayed as questionmarks in my board ( "?" ..obviously ^^)

Re: peculiars like "♥" don't work on 1.3.2?

They work on my test board.

3 (edited by TuxPirate 2009-02-05 21:00)

Noom, check your DB tables encoding.

TuxPirate wrote:

Noom, check your DB tables encoding.

Last edited by TuxPirate (Yesterday 21:00:00)

hm.

could you elaborate this? i only pay for the board, i have a coder that impliments stuff and changes stuff in the db, but he's clueless about the symbols...

thanks for the replies btw smile

Noom wrote:

could you elaborate this?

As I understand, you did upgrade from 1.2.x? 99% that you're made wrong DB dump. When you import it to a new DB old data are displayed fine, but new UTF-8 special characters stored as "?" because DB tables collation not correct. I would suggest make a query like:

ALTER TABLE `prefix_users` CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci

Then for the test set in your signature line at the forum a several special symbols. If I don't mistake, signature line data stored in users table. If everything will be displayed normal, you will need to repeat these step with all remaining DB tables, exept `prefix_search_words`.  This worked for me, but be carefull with `prefix_search_words` table - first time i set an "utf8_general_ci" for it, and have some troubles after. Don't touch it, if everything works fine.