1 (edited by Tabaco 2009-02-13 16:20)

Topic: PunBB abilities ?

Hi everyone ..
I'm new in here ..
So I'll ask some "stupid" questions if you allow me ..

I'm running a phpBB forum , and I think that it's time to switch to another free software ..
Loving the clean view of punBB , I decided to take a look in here ...

So my first question , is it possible (easy ?) to switch fromm phpBB software ?
My second question , the most important one , .. my site is based on article submission (done in forums) , so I'm needing a way ; a MOD - or wathever you call this here - to  put another post counter , after the original one ; but counting posts ONLY in a specific category , meaning , for example , if I call this "tutorials" , and I build a category named "tutorial submission" ; messages posted in this category will be counted ..

is it possible to do this in punBB  ???

also , Is punBB

-  able to put into the flow of the website (static width, underneat the website's horizontal main menu)
-  having best templating possibilities (custom will be built, but as this occurs only once, it's less relevant)

thanks for answering ..

2 (edited by daris 2009-02-13 17:05)

Re: PunBB abilities ?

Tabaco wrote:

Yes, you can convert phpBB database to PunBB 1.2 using http://punbb.informer.com/download/cont … -1.4.0.zip . Then if you want to run 1.3 version of PunBB you can just upgrade PunBB 1.2 to 1.3.

daris wrote:
Tabaco wrote:

Yes, you can convert phpBB database to PunBB 1.2 using http://punbb.informer.com/download/cont … -1.4.0.zip . Then if you want to run 1.3 version of PunBB you can just upgrade PunBB 1.2 to 1.3.

thanks a lot Daris ..

But I'm really waiting for an answer for question 2 .. because if I can't do this in punBB boards , I'll not switch ..

thanks ..

Tabaco wrote:

My second question , the most important one , .. my site is based on article submission (done in forums) , so I'm needing a way ; a MOD - or wathever you call this here - to  put another post counter , after the original one ; but counting posts ONLY in a specific category , meaning , for example , if I call this "tutorials" , and I build a category named "tutorial submission" ; messages posted in this category will be counted ..

Currently it isn't possible to do, but there should be somewhere Skip post counting extension, you can modify it for adding next post counter.

daris wrote:
Tabaco wrote:

Currently it isn't possible to do, but there should be somewhere Skip post counting extension, you can modify it for adding next post counter.

good ..
but my php knowledge isn't quite good ..
I can find someone who can make this ?

Why did you create this topic on fluxbb forums also? tongue

The extension is here, but download links don't work. I have installed this extension on my forum, so here it is ;p

7 (edited by Tabaco 2009-02-13 19:08)

it's mentionned on my post in fluxBB ..
I need to know the difference between them ???

same developpers maybe ??

for the extension , this is not what I'm looking for .. (maybe because of my bad english ..)

I'll try to explain this more clearly ..
in the member profile field , shown with every post he made , we can see for example :

I would like to make this look like this

* Articles: 24

24 , is the number of posts that this member had posted in a specific category (named for example : "Article Submission")

?

I know that you're looking for other extension than attached in my previous post, but you can quickly edit it to get what you want wink

daris wrote:

I know that you're looking for other extension than attached in my previous post, but you can quickly edit it to get what you want wink

ah ok ; sorry