Topic: Private forum - Display forum in forum list but not allow topic views

Hi.

I have a private forum for a certain user group. Currently this forum does not show up in the forum list. However Is it possible to show these "user group only" forums in the forum list but not allow non-members to click through and look at topics? - Basically I want people to be able to see what forums they are missing out on by not being a full member ;-)

Thanks.

rake the garden

Re: Private forum - Display forum in forum list but not allow topic views

I am only guessing now:

- Assume that there are two groups of users, "privileged" (have access to the extra forums) and "regular"
- Only allow "privileged" access to your forum (just as it is now)
- Create a new forum with the same name. Prevent "privileged" from even reading it (so it doesn't appear in their list), allow "regular" to read the forum but not write
- Create one topic in this forum to explain that "All topics are hidden. If you want to see them, do this and that."

This should do the trick: Your regular users will see the "fake" forum with explanatory message, but they won't be able to do anything with it. Your privileged users will not see this fake forum but another forum (with the same name) where they can normally post.

Let me know if it works. It should.

pepak wrote:

This should do the trick: Your regular users will see the "fake" forum with explanatory message, but they won't be able to do anything with it. Your privileged users will not see this fake forum but another forum (with the same name) where they can normally post.

Let me know if it works. It should.

Definitely sounds like it could work. I will give it a go later today and get back to you. Thanks for the brilliant idea ;-)

rake the garden

Fantastic stuff. Thanks a mil pepak. big_smile
Such a simple yet elegant solution. Works like a dream.

rake the garden