Topic: 1.3.3 Installation Problem

Well, I moved servers and now I can upload and install the latest version. So I read the installation notes, it's a piece of cake, no?

I cannot get the install to execute. I have tried a few different packages, tried different routes of uploading and all worked ok to upload, I have the install.php in my admin folder, so far so good.

But when I click to start this process all that is ver happening is I am given a dialogue box to run or save the file! So how is this file supposed to execute? I cannot follow the directions as the notes suggest, since the file wont start.

Malc.

Re: 1.3.3 Installation Problem

The file you have to save is config.php. You should copy it's content into a text editor, then save and upload it to the forum root directory.

Parpalak wrote:

The file you have to save is config.php. You should copy it's content into a text editor, then save and upload it to the forum root directory.

Would this be the config.php from my old forum of 1.2? Or the config.php from my new installation of punbb 1.3.3?

Im sorry I dont understand, as I am doing a first time install on a brand new server, this host is a subscription and I have the C-Panel

install.php asks to save config.php only for a fresh install. If you have a PunBB 1.2 forum, you can upgrade it to PunBB 1.3, see instructions in wiki. In this case do not forget to make a backup of 1.2 database.

Parpalak wrote:

install.php asks to save config.php only for a fresh install. If you have a PunBB 1.2 forum, you can upgrade it to PunBB 1.3, see instructions in wiki. In this case do not forget to make a backup of 1.2 database.

Ok, so I double clicked the install.php in admin, then the save file box opens in Firefox, so then I saved the file to my hard drive, opened it in notpad and named it config.php and uploaded it into the forum directory which is public_html/forum.

But still nothing happens, ever file I double click simply wants to open (you get a page of text) or download to my hard drive. Im doing something wrong obviously, but dont know what?

Malc

malc wrote:

I double clicked the install.php

Where did you double clicked install.php?

Seems like I didn't understand you from the beginning, and you try to run a file into a file manager. You should only upload files in a file manager to your server. And then you should open http://your_site.com/forum/ in a browser and follow instructions.

Parpalak wrote:
malc wrote:

I double clicked the install.php

Where did you double clicked install.php?

Seems like I didn't understand you from the beginning, and you try to run a file into a file manager. You should only upload files in a file manager to your server. And then you should open http://your_site.com/forum/ in a browser and follow instructions.

Now I understand! I did what you say, I got the install running, but now I get this error

An error was encountered

Unable to connect to MySQL and select database. MySQL reported: Access denied for user 'malc'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The error occurred on line 44 in /home/midlandb/public_html/forum/include/dblayer/mysqli.php

Can you help please?

Malc.

Seems like there is a mistake in the database password.

What about config.php? Have you uploaded it like I wrote before?

By the way, 1.3.4 has been just released. It's better to install this version, not 1.3.3.

Parpalak wrote:

Seems like there is a mistake in the database password.

What about config.php? Have you uploaded it like I wrote before?

Yes, I did upload it, but then deleted it when I couldnt get it to work, shall I upload it again? By the way this config.php I have made by downloading the install.php opening it in notepad and saving it as config.php, is this right? I cannot see another config.php in my installation

Parpalak wrote:

By the way, 1.3.4 has been just released. It's better to install this version, not 1.3.3.

Well, since I have not yet succeeded I might as well go for the latest! I have to go in 30 mins, so close but i have to take someone to hospital. I will download the latest 1.3.4 and try again later. Im wondering why the password error? I set the password myself?

You have to get database host, username, password and name from your hosting support or to set somewhere in the admin panel of your hosting.

I have uploaded and copied to the forum dir the files for 1.3.4, and then I have managed to load the forum up and completed the install.

When it invited me to go and view the forum I clicked the link that would usually open http://www.midlandbullets.co.uk/forum/index.php and this appeared instead:

An error was encountered

Your PunBB database is out-of-date and must be upgraded in order to continue. Please run db_update.php in order to complete the upgrade process.

There was another link to click to run db_update.php
I duly clicked this and got:

An error was encountered

Your database is already as up-to-date as this script can make it.

Any help appreciated!

14 (edited by malc 2009-05-20 18:02)

OK, so now I found the post on here that told me to clear the cache folder, thanks to Wicked Flea for that! I did this and hey presto, I have a forum! big_smile

Now, I want to put my saved db from my old forum, into my new forum. I can select the new db in myadmin, and import it into the new db, but when i did this last time I get error:

An error was encountered

Note: For detailed error information (necessary for troubleshooting), enable "DEBUG mode". To enable "DEBUG mode", open up the file config.php in a text editor, add a line that looks like "define('FORUM_DEBUG', 1);" (without the quotation marks), and re-upload the file. Once you've solved the problem, it is recommended that "DEBUG mode" be turned off again (just remove the line from the file and re-upload it).

I did this, and the next thing I got is:

An error was encountered

The error occurred on line 1357 in /home/midlandb/public_html/forum/include/functions.php

Database reported: Unknown column 'o.csrf_token' in 'field list' (Errno: 1054).

Now Im afraid I am stuck, can someone help please.

Well, I finally managed to get punbb on my new server and installed the db. Because the db was made in 1.2 I uninstalled the ver 1.3.4 and replaced it with a download of the old 1.2.21. This has installed perfectly now, and accepted the saved database from my old forum.

The problem now is although all posts topics users and all are obviously there, the posts dont show when clicked on, all I get is:

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

As soon as I can get this fixed I can update to 1.3.4 and all should be well!

Help appreciated please.

Maybe there is something wrong with URL schemes? (about URL schemes in wiki)
Try to set default scheme.