1 (edited by Slavok 2009-02-04 07:04)

Topic: Tags (pun_tags)

This is the first release of pun_tags extension for PunBB 1.3. You can read its description here.
pun_repository extension will help you to get it or use these download links:

Feel free to make suggestions and report any bugs.

//Link to wiki was added

Re: Tags (pun_tags)

I think you forgot the wiki link?
testing it now
thanks!

Is this supposed to work with 1.3.0? I get this error when I try to install it:

The error occurred on line 94 in /***/admin/extensions.php(176) : eval()'d code

Database reported: ERROR: column "p_pun_poll_enable_read" does not exist .

I have a similar problem with pun_poll.

Suggestion:
Move the tag cloud right down to the bottom of the template. My regulars will go mad if they have stare at the tag cloud every time they view a page. The tag cloud should be something tucked away at the bottom in my opinion so that if you want to see it, you can scroll down to see it. Not so prominently disaplayed imho.

It seems to work perfectly though
smile

When I click one of the tags while viewing a topic I get an index error message on the search page for that tag.

I don't notice any errors or change to my forum other than the addition of the admin portion for the Pun Tags:. I'm using v1.3.2.

Mogger wrote:

Is this supposed to work with 1.3.0? I get this error when I try to install it

The error occurred on line 94 in /***/admin/extensions.php(176) : eval()'d code
Database reported:
ERROR: column "p_pun_poll_enable_read" does not exist .

I have a similar problem with pun_poll.

When did this error appear? What actions led to it?

Programming-Designs wrote:

When I click one of the tags while viewing a topic I get an index error message on the search page for that tag.

What is the error message?

Slavok wrote:

When did this error appear? What actions led to it?

/admin/extensions.php?install=pun_tags [1]
When I click on the button "Install extension" on that page, I get the error message.

[1] after clicking "Install extension" on /admin/extensions.php?section=manage

9 (edited by Programming-Designs 2009-02-04 22:52)

Slavok wrote:

When I go to say this url: http://forums.site.com/tag/7

I get the error:

Notice: Undefined index: has_posted in /home/.../.../site/search.php on line 313

/home/*/public_html/forum/search.php on line 313

Thanks for reporting, the bug was fixed. A new version available on the extension page, in SVN or you can get it via pun_repository extension.

12 (edited by Grant 2009-02-07 15:51)

Awesome extension! Been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks so much. big_smile

Any chance of a "See more tags" button?

13 (edited by Grant 2009-02-07 17:17)

Just realised, tags applied to topics in forums not visible to guests are still visible to guests. If a guest clicks on the tag the topic is listed, but when the guest clicks on the topic they get:

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

Is there a way to fix this please?

Also the searches seem to be backwards, oldest topics on top. Is this deliberate?

Perhaps I'm too much of a pedant, but I've been editing some of the spelling errors in the tags that users submit. One spelling error which I have been coming across more frequently, probably a deliberate one, is the capitalisation of of tags that are neither proper nouns nor acronyms.  While correcting such tags I came across a rather annoying bug:

Tags which are edited in such a way as to change the first letter from upper to lower case, disappear when submitted!

I then have to click back and re-submit the edited post. Since more and more members seem to be capitalising all of their tags, even though I have repeatedly asked them not to do so, this is creating a lot of extra work for me.  Now, looking at the problem from psychological point of view, it seems that the actual root of the problem is the fact that capitalised tags are displayed first. Is there perhaps a way to change this in the meanwhile?

Actually, now that I've though about it some more. It would be better if all tags got converted to lower case. Unless you can get it to ignore case when sorting alphabetically, which I think would be fairly hard to do, competition will force them all upper or all lower anyway. I'd rather see tags like "php" than "BUY NOW"

Grant wrote:

Do you want to limit the list of tags and show them only by clicking this button?

Slavok wrote:
Grant wrote:

Do you want to limit the list of tags and show them only by clicking this button?

More like a page listing all the tags.

Minor request; Change the css so the font size (specified in the a tag) for active topics isn't fixed in the template/code but can be changed by modifying the css rather than poking around to find it...

The font size of a tag depends on the count of topics with this tag, it is not related to the active topic. In a common case, there can be a relatively big number of tags with different font sizes, and I think it is not reasonable to create css rules for each font size. Is it what you've talked about or I have misunderstood you?

The new version of pun_tags is almost done, but before releasing it we would like to hear your opinions and suggestions about it. You can get the current revision of the extension from SVN.
Changes from the previous release:

• The tag cloud is displayed at the bottom of pages now

• A tag is shown in the cloud only if the user has the permission to read the forum with a tagged topic.

• In the tag cloud, the count of tags is displayed based on user's reading permissions for the forum.

• The process of editing tags of topics has been corrected (this issue was described in a post by Grant).

Yay! Thanks Slavok smile

Looking good so far. The editing works perfectly first time now and the tags are only visible to the correct user groups. smile

When you click on a tag the search still seems backwards to me, but perhaps that is the way it's supposed to be?

can some one please explain to me how tags help. i mean they are keywords right?

so when u search a keyword. the same result it gives. SO???????

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Tags provide additional keywords to consider. A bit like Google's "Searches related to"

25 (edited by Slavok 2009-05-27 07:17)

Grant wrote:

When you click on a tag the search still seems backwards to me, but perhaps that is the way it's supposed to be?

Fixed.

SuperMAG wrote:

so when u search a keyword. the same result it gives. SO???????

Searching by tag will be implemented later, not in this release.

//Added link to changeset