1 (edited by Paul 2004-02-02 15:40)

Topic: [Test Release] PunBB Style Guide

This is the replacement for the Skinning Guide. I have now done the whole thing as a Word Doc which is then converted to a pdf. The idea is that people should still use the pdf but having the original as a Word Doc makes it easier to update and, if anybody is interested, translate.

I have removed most of the hints and tips as most people just want an explanation of which bits of the style sheet relate to which bits of the board and I felt my musings just got in the way. There is also the fact that there is a slim chance v1.2 might be tableless in which case a complete rewrite would be necessary.

I have some tutorials in preparation dealing with adding graphics, adding CSS buttons, making alterations to main.tpl etc. These will be released individually and then combined into an Advanced Style Guide. I am also finishing off a static version of PunBB which will allow people to test stylesheets on their own PC's without installing PHP ectc.

The basic Style Guide can be downloaded here.

http://www.post21.co.uk/StyleGuide111.pdf
http://www.post21.co.uk/StyleGuide111.doc

Could somebody check for errors before putting it out as a release. If you think I should have covered something in more depth or I have missed something let me know, it's easy enough to add stuff. Thanks.

2 (edited by CSpotkill 2004-02-03 06:01)

Re: [Test Release] PunBB Style Guide

I would re-do the graphics on page 4, all the arrows clutter the page and make it harder to understand.

As a general comment for the overall guide, it's very technical, dissecting the exact PunBB layout with no CSS examples. Many people just come to PunBB with a colour scheme and want to know how to change the colours and design of the board to fit their existing site.

Instead of describing the PunBB page and what CSS rules will control parts of the page design, why not show a sample CSS file and give a tutorial on altering the CSS file or creating a new one from scratch, based on an existing website design/colour scheme? That would make it easier for people to understand the CSS and make the guide smaller and more useful. (This existing guide could perhaps be a Technical Appendix to the tutorial for those interested in further customizations)

3 (edited by Paul 2004-02-03 14:39)

Some good points. I agree page 4 is a bit cluttered. I will see what I can do. Just worked it out. Label the columns with leters A, B etc and then provide a key.

I started from the position that the most tedious part of changing the boards appearance was not editing the style sheet but rather working out which bits did what. You are right though, this doesn't help people who don't actually know anything about CSS at all and don't really want to know. I think the best idea, as you suggest, is a blow by blow tutorial showing examples of how to change one style into another. Maybe also a quick explanation of how to add a graphic logo which is something a lot of people will want to do. The existing style guide would then be released as a "Style Sheet Reference".

I had completely forgotten to update the link on the download page. I did that now.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."