1 (edited by Amelotti 2009-06-20 13:03)

Topic: Problems in Opera 8.54 and Internet Explorer 5.0

Internet Explorer 5.0 seems to be totally unable to render pages, it clutters everything into overlapping boxes. (I want to know if other people have this problem, the prob may be due to a hack error in my system)

Opera 8.54 seems to have a css bug, which makes the topics height look 3-4 times times higher, like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
!
!  TOPIC NAME
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 (edited by MattF 2009-06-20 18:20)

Re: Problems in Opera 8.54 and Internet Explorer 5.0

I.E 5 you'll most likely never get working correctly. I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about that, to be honest. With the Opera issue, you'll most likely find the problem is at your end rather than with Opera. Opera really can be anal over the silliest of things on occasion. Check the HTML and CSS validity of your code, make sure that's upto par and then, if the problem persists, find out what's causing it. If you can get the layout working fine with Opera, you'll usually find it displays fine in every other real, (not I.E), browser too. You may well just have an extra|missing or misplaced tag or suchike causing that issue.

The prob with Opera is it "your" end.
The forum is made entirely of php, it's not using html <> tags as normal forums do, as a result it seems to skrew up at every occasion, when something non-standard is done... I'd kill people who don't understand the word "simplicity". And, simplicity envolves not using php whenever you can do with html. No reply necessary.

Well, I can't make head nor tail of your last post, but I assume that means you found the problem?

5 (edited by DK 2009-06-22 20:42)

The prob with Opera is it "your" end.
The forum is made entirely of php, it's not using html <> tags as normal forums do, as a result it seems to skrew up at every occasion, when something non-standard is done... I'd kill people who don't understand the word "simplicity". And, simplicity envolves not using php whenever you can do with html. No reply necessary.

PunBB does generate HTML somewhere in the program. Just check the following files (in order) to get the basic understanding of how it's done.

header.php
include\template\main.tpl (works like Smarty but it's not Smarty; to get a general idea of how it works, please visit http://www.smarty.net/)
index.php
footer.php

Besides, it's impossible to make a forum program without using a dynamic language such as PHP ASP, or ASP.NET.

PunBB itself is optimized for modification. I was quite surprised when I tried to add an alternate row coloring functionality; only ended up finding this line under viewforum.php , line 299:

$forum_page['item_style'] = (($forum_page['item_count'] % 2 != 0) ? ' odd' : ' even').(($forum_page['item_count'] == 1) ? ' main-first-item' : '').((!empty($forum_page['item_status'])) ? ' '.implode(' ', $forum_page['item_status']) : '');

All I had to do was modifying CSS, which is also very organized, simple, and understandable. I would greatly thank PunBB developers instead of killing them (or other people).

(so...... who's gonna help with my other post???)

PunBB (Oxygen) doesn't work in IE5.

There's one thing I want to get across to the developers of Pun/Flux. 

It's a good application with a good potential, I wouldn't be waisting my time on it, if it weren't, but if these people knew how I swore while debugging it, they'd turn freaking red. As far as I understand, you don't use PHP where you can do with the old-fashioned HTML -- that's bad programming, making thing more complex than they already are. PHP is the code inserted INSIDE html wherever you can't survive without it, but not any other way!

Amelotti wrote:

The forum is made entirely of php, it's not using html <> tags as normal forums do, as a result it seems to skrew up at every occasion, when something non-standard is done...

What do you mean by the "not using html"?

Amelotti wrote:

As far as I understand, you don't use PHP where you can do with the old-fashioned HTML -- that's bad programming, making thing more complex than they already are. PHP is the code inserted INSIDE html wherever you can't survive without it, but not any other way!

It will be more useful, if you describe how PHP should be used and what disadvantages PunBB code has, in your opinion.

If you something on your screen, it's HTML (and text), not PHP.

It's too late now. What's done's done. The simplicity rule means that you should the most simple means available, for instance, not use the CSS-block system, when you can just insert the old-fashioned table tags. Because this hasn't been done, the CSS files are now skrewed up, and IE 5 and probably many other browsers are not working. I'd rather prefer someone help get this mess with IE 5 straightened out, because, as of now, the forum can hardly be used for any serious, let alone commercial, purposes.

11 (edited by Amelotti 2009-07-05 14:24)

What's in the world is this? What's MINUS 9.7em? This causes this problem in Opera, when you set it to 0, Firefox begins to look like Opera 8. You did something to overlapping boxes, now they won't overlap.

Oxygen.css
.brd .main-content .main-item .item-subject,
.brd .main-content .main-item li {
    float: left;
    border-left-style: solid;
    border-left-width: 1px;
    margin: 0 -2px -9.7em 0;
    position: relative;
    padding-top: 0.6em;
    padding-bottom: 10.4em;
    }

I cannot test your forum in all the browsers!! Once I start changing something, it may look fine in one, but get out of control in others.

The best thing to do is rewrite the subjet-titles with tables