1 (edited by tbint 2009-07-23 03:22)

Topic: Disable RSS (solved)

Hello
My name is teddy and I'm an alcoholic.

I Installed PunBB 1.3.4  yesterday. Linux/Unix server (free hosting). Not one error, and no editing of any documents.  I have tried a few others with a lot of issues installing on this host.

So very cool!

Is there a way to disable the RSS or uninstall it? Just worried it my suck up bandwith and database (10MB) if someone uses it.

Re: Disable RSS (solved)

You can disable rss by editing the file "<FORUM_ROOT>/extern.php". Add "exit" function with some message to the top of the file.

Slavok wrote:

You can disable rss by editing the file "<FORUM_ROOT>/extern.php". Add "exit" function with some message to the top of the file.

I tried this is what I put: " exit ("RSS Feed is disabled on this forum.") " most like I got that wrong. I put it on the line below " <?php " at the top of file.

The Icon was still visable, so I clicked it. This is what I got:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/www/ozarkup.com/forum/extern.php on line 58

I have to say, it is disabled, but I thought it would have been a dead link. So I put the file extern.php back the way it was. Now I get:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <rss version="2.0">
- <channel>
- <title>
- <![CDATA[ ozarkup forum - Welcome
There is more, just don't want to wast space.

So I guess that methode permanently disables RSS. Sure would like to get rid of those two links and Icon or get it working again.

Thank you Slavok. I don't know php syntax to good yet.  So If you know what I did wrong anything would be helpful.
cheers

<?php // The first php tag at the top of extern.php

exit('The RSS Feed is disabled on this forum.');

5 (edited by tbint 2009-07-17 20:59)

MattF wrote:
<?php // The first php tag at the top of extern.php

exit('The RSS Feed is disabled on this forum.');

Ok That worked. I go to a white page that said: The RSS Feed is disabled on this forum.

cool. If I ever wanted to enable I just take the line out.

The subscribe link is still active. Wonder what they will subscribe to now.

Thank you MattF
cheers

tbint wrote:

The subscribe link is still active. Wonder what they will subscribe to now.

When a user subscribes to some topic, notifications about new posts in that topic will be sent to user's e-mail. This feature is not related with RSS.

Thank you slavok

I have been changing webhost.  now I should have plenty of space.

I have one more question, but a different topic.