Topic: Unable to fetch ban list?

I've finished my install *finally!*, done all that, made the config.php file... and now when I go to the index.php I get:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to fetch ban list.

How do I fix?

Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. Yum.

Re: Unable to fetch ban list?

Enable DEBUG mode and try it again. It won't work then either, but it will spit out a more constructive error message.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by pirhan 2004-04-22 19:21)

Rickard wrote:

Enable DEBUG mode and try it again. It won't work then either, but it will spit out a more constructive error message.

Did that. No go.

The table where 'An error was encountered' is written is orange. Does that help? Heh.

Thanks for your help, you and my webhost guy are the best tech support. big_smile

Edit:
This is what the common.php file looks like now:
// Enable debugging by removing // from the following line
define('PUN_DEBUG', 1);

Dreamweaver is giving me an error at the bottom, an 'Invalid Markup' ... would that have anything to do with it?

Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons - for you are crunchy and good with ketchup. Yum.

What error message (all of it) did you get when you had enabled DEBUG mode?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by pirhan 2004-04-22 21:28)

Same thing ... Unable to fetch ban list.

Blah, my server is down so I can't check my page.

Edit: Up again, you can see it here: http://chibidragon.com/warriorsquests/scripture/

DEBUG mode doesn't appear to be enabled. Did you maybe forget to upload common.php after you removed the comment?

Also, it's generally a good idea to not edit the scripts in Dreamweaver. It has been known to screw up the template files among other things.

Ick. I changed it on the remote server.. so I'm thinking it got uploaded. What do you suggest I edit this on? *Has finally figured out DreamWeaver* ... I'm on a Mac... so I guess Simpletext? Or BBedit?

BBEdit is a very good editor for the Mac.

To make sure, try adding some nonsense to common.php. If it's updated correctly, it will give you a parse error.

9 (edited by pirhan 2004-04-22 22:38)

AH HA! I snycronized *spelling???* my files, redid the common.php file - deleted the //,

and now I get:

An error was encountered
File: /www/chibid/public_html/warriorsquests/scripture/include/functions.php
Line: 114
PunBB reported: Unable to fetch ban list
Database reported: Unknown column 'message' in 'field list' (Errno: 1054)

*waits for Rickard to work his magic*

Edit:

Line 114 -
    $result = $db->query('SELECT id, username, ip, message, expire FROM '.$db->prefix.'bans WHERE username IS NOT NULL OR ip IS NOT NULL OR expire IS NOT NULL') or error('Unable to fetch ban list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

I hate to bump my own post.. but any other suggestions?

Hmm, have you upgraded lately? Did you run the update script as the upgrade instructions says?

Rickard wrote:

Hmm, have you upgraded lately? Did you run the update script as the upgrade instructions says?

I haven't upgraded. I just clicked to dl the newest Punn, and tried to install. I did have another punn board on my site, but deleted it to put in the new one. *Which isn't working*

Ah, blah, maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall this afternoon. Hopefully that'll work.

Yeah, try that. There might be a collision with the old forums.

Rickard wrote:

Yeah, try that. There might be a collision with the old forums.

Right-o.

I'll try that in a couple of hours, once I'm off work. If it doesn't work, you'll be the first to know. ^_~

ARGH! This is getting _so_ frustrating. I've deleted it, downloaded, installed, three times now. Am I even downloading the right thing?

PunBB 1.1.4 (zip)  - and then I upload the upload file. *sigh* And then go through the install process, and still get the ban list thing.

Don't worry man. We'll work it out. Do you have any kind of database management system installed? Such as phpmyadmin? I would love to take a look at your database because I suspect it's there the problem lies. It almost looks as if you have an old 1.0.* version in your database or something.