Topic: Help me please

Ok I downloaded punn 1.14 but my web hosting is www.free-webspace.biz and my site is www.rscheatnet.tk I don,t know how to install it. the forums that is on my site is my friends. and he dosn't know how either so can you please guys help me out.

Re: Help me please

Did you read the install documentation?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hi rscheats,

In order to intall the forum you will need to have some knowledge of php, and mysql.

The first thing i would do is ask your web hosting company if they had mysql even running on your account.

If you do, then what I would suggest is to read about php and mysql on some webpages or by a book on the topic, that should get you going.

I would recomend PHP and MYSQL for dynamic websites. I used this book. I didnt know anyting about either topic, and after reading only half the book, I am able to ready some PHP and was able to create my tabe in mysql that punbb needs to run.

You can always try and find a forum script  that uses a file to write to instead of a database.

Hope this Helps.
Daryl

Thanks but I don't understand the holet thing with php what does it do.

(Edited by Paul - The following was posted by rscheats in a duplicate thread in PunBB Discussions which I have removed)

Hmm where do I get php and hwo do I use it. please guys I'm new and i like your forums www.rscheatnet.com has the sameforums and I want it too.

k,

PHP is the program language  that tells your browser what to do.

the mysql is the database that  stores all the posts (information ) from the punbb forum.

now it takes PHP to tell your browser to read the mysql database.

So in other words

you have to know enough about PHP the program language that punbb is written in, inorder to make the  changes in the script to look up and find your mysql database. I think thats all in the config.php

Then you need to create a database so punbb can write to it and keep all your posts so people can see them when the forum scripts calls them.

I hope this helps, Im still learning PHP myself. so this might not be a really good concept of PHP and Mysql

Daryl

Php and mysql need to be installed by your host on their server. If they are not installed then there is very little you can do about it (unless you are paying them money). The first thing to do is find out whether php and mysql are available from your host. Do you know of any forums that are installed on your hosts servers and if so, which forum scripts are they using. As far as I am aware your host, free-webspace.biz does not provide php and mysql. If I'm right then you need a different host for your forum.

ah nevermind this is too hard I wanted to make a forum cool liuke this but i guess I'm to noobish to learn.

I guess I'll stick up wit hmy site and the forums from my friend lol www.rscheatnet.tk

read the install information that comes with the downloaded file.

1. do you have mysql on your server?
2. do you have php on your server?
3. can you read? sad

yes yes yes

11 (edited by s0da 2004-05-08 01:01)

open the install.html file that is included in your downloaded file.

it really isn't that hard.

Ok I did an ivison forum to practice and look heres the site http://d9x.net/~rscheatnet/forums/ I need mysql right. Then I'll get the punbb forum can you help me with mysql.

13 (edited by s0da 2004-05-09 01:28)

*post cleared*

Settle down please. /Kennel

hehe

rscheats wrote:

Ok I did an ivison forum to practice and look heres the site http://d9x.net/~rscheatnet/forums/ I need mysql right. Then I'll get the punbb forum can you help me with mysql.

Yes, you need MySQL.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

YUp i got it what do i do after?

I'm sorry, but it's impossible to explain each and every step you need to take to get a webserver, PHP and MySQL up and running. You should search the web. There are thousands of install tutorials for PHP and MySQL.

Ok thanks

But wait a minute. I thought you said your page was hosted on some free web page thingy?

yup but i found one that has php mySql and then after I'll join the forum to site. I know how i did it before but not with my forums. Just ned to know how to use mySQL

hey if u want let me know , i'll help u install the board

ok well farhan I just need to know how to use mySQL. YOu could hep me out withthat.

i think you should let someone help you. it would be much better instead of people replying telling you what to do. this will go on forever...