Topic: New and unread posts

Some users of my forum experience problems with "New posts" list (the list being too short) and with unread posts not being marked as such.

Could one of the developers please explain the exact algorithm used to make the "new posts" list and to mark messages as read/unread? That would help us track down the problem.

Re: New and unread posts

So... no documentation, no comments from developers...

Would any users care to share the sacral knowledge of what "visit timeout" and "online timeout" are and how exactly "last visit" time is set and messages marked read/unread?

I believe it's time based, not based on "since last visited". It may be 24 hours.

I can't imagine what asardar is talking about. It says "seconds" and that is "time based" isn't it?

I would like to hear an answer to 8k84's question. There is Visit timeout with "Seconds idle before last visit data is updated" and there is Online timeout with "Seconds idle before being removed from the online users list". What does that mean?

The latter sounds like even if you are online, it will stop reporting you as such if there is no action for a set time. The first one is more difficult to guess. Could it be controlling the "new posts" indicator?