Topic: Big thank you to PunBB Team

not sure who has coded PunBB but just wanted to say thank you. It's a nice efficient forum which is very useful if you have limited db space and bandwidth on a hosting package. Also great for using the forum from a mobile phone as it doesn't require much bandwidth so it gets the pages quickly(less number of requests, less images, less non-sense). I love it.

Two questions:

1. Is there a guide on how to develop extension for punbb? (I found some oddities with a few extensions that I would like to fix)

2. When registering here there was some spam protection system in place. Which extension is this and where can I download it from? It said: "1. If you register with a yahoo.co.uk email adress from OUTSIDE the UK, you will be treated as a spammer and deleted. 2. If you post a URL in your signature within 24 hours of registering, your account will be deleted. 3. If you do not activate your account within 24 hours of registering here, your registration will be deleted. "

Re: Big thank you to PunBB Team

Welcome

1. http://punbb.informer.com/forums/post/136162/#p136162   let us know if you need more info than that, and where you searched - if you think it belongs on wiki

2. the questions part of your registration was with extension pun_stop_bots which you'll see for download once you have installed the pun_repository extension

The above quotes from the registration process are just the 'rules'.  The rules are empty be default and you put in whatever you want/ is appropriate for your site. The rules themselves can be activated in the admin are under settings, registration.

How does PunBB compare with FluxBB?What's the advantages? disadvantages? which one is more actively developed.

which one should I use?

troller wrote:

which one is more actively developed.

Depends if you consider the ~140 extensions that you can one click install. There are about a dozen official actively developed extensions by the PunBB team in the last year plus 120 over 24 months  by various developers.  The code for PunBB 1.3.4 has been unchanged for over a year I believe.

troller wrote:

How does PunBB compare with FluxBB?

I believe FluxBB is slower than PunBB since 1.4.2.

Of course you'll have to ask over there to get their view of things. They don't have the extension system though, They gave that up.

5 (edited by lie2815 2010-09-17 11:48)

KeyDog wrote:

I believe FluxBB is slower than PunBB since 1.4.2.

Sorry, why would you think that? FluxBB 1.4 is based on PunBB/FluxBB 1.2.
Both should be faster than 1.3, due to the latter's extension system.

Nontheless, if one-click extensions are more important for you than installing modifications by hand, PunBB is probably the way to go (for now).

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:

FluxBB 1.4 is based on PunBB/FluxBB 1.2.

Emphasis on based. FluxBB 1.4 is slower than 1.2 correct?

Regarding 1.3 - It depends which extensions are (or aren't) installed...

Well, 1.3 was - in a way - based on the 1.2 core and until you give me a good benchmark, there is absolutely no reason to believe 1.3 should be faster than 1.4.

Yes, of course, both of them are slower than 1.2 when run on the same machine.

Note that this is not supposed to turn into some kind of dogfight, I was just wondering where you got that idea from.

FluxBB - v1.4.8

It's not going to be much use to anyone actually even if one or the other is faster in default setup on a specific machine, as I've never seen a board that doesn't add mods or extensions for either spam, bbcode etc and I personally use FreeBSD, others Linux etc etc.... So one would have to agree on which mods or extensions were added, then we could have a fair "race" smile

But they're both fast.

KeyDog wrote:

But they're both fast.

+1 smile

FluxBB - v1.4.8