1 (edited by Federer Photography 2011-11-09 19:42)

Topic: Subscribed by default in punBB 1.4

In my 1.3.4 forum, there was an option where I could have everyone 'subscribed' by default.

Now it appears everyone needs to manually subscribe to a thread.

Is there a way to change this behavior so that users are subscribed to a topic by default?

Re: Subscribed by default in punBB 1.4

Its per-user settings in profile - Subscribe to topics by default when posting.
If user turn on this settings - he will be subscribed by default.

3 (edited by Federer Photography 2011-11-09 19:53)

Is there a way to do this globally?  So the default for all users is 'subscribed'?

Its not good idea subscribe user without confirmation. Its like spam. Bad idea.

But if you need this - you need write small extensions that turn this settings on for every new users.

No, I think you misunderstand.

Right now, the default is 'not subscribed by default' for each user.  People can change it for themselves to "subscribe by default", or they can change it on a post-by-post basis.

I would just like the initial, default, per-user setting to be "subscribe by default".  Obviously if they don't want that setting, they can change it.

The default is 'not subscribed by default' - thats right and correct way of any subscribe list. If user wanted be subscribed default for all topic - it MUST turn this options on. All other method is a SPAM. Realy. Dont do it.

I continue to think you misunderstand.   However, clearly I'm having trouble communicating my needs.

I'll see if I can code it myself, as my user base is asking for it.

8 (edited by Federer Photography 2011-11-09 21:26)

... can you point me to where I might go to set this?  Basically I just want that when someone registers, knows nothing of 'settings' and never looks in there at all and just uses the default for everything on their profile, and then posts to a thread... the 'subscribe to this thread' is checked by default.

I found it.

In the pun_users table I changed the default for 'auto_notify' default value to '1'.

I've tested and users can still change their setting as they want, it just starts as checked.

The first rule of any subscription - user must manually turn on subscription. All others methods is a spam.

dimkalinux wrote:

The first rule of any subscription - user must manually turn on subscription. All others methods is a spam.

Sorry to resurrect the dead. That first rule is good, it applies to many places. But the OP might had had a valid reason, like I do. I am running PunBB on my Intranet, I created the user list, and to encourage (or rather, insist) on participation, this setting is wanted. I am not spamming per se, this is a work installation, to discuss work related things. It is mandatory.

Learning something new through your conversations.