1 (edited by Madoor 2004-06-02 23:12)

Topic: Features in 1.2!!

I have found the 6 first suggestions very handy myself...

- Change the admmod so admins can have private forums that moderators (and the other guests) cannot see.
- There's a bug in the search page so everyone can view every forums in the dropdown list (you have written $extra instead of $extra_sql in the SQL almost at the bottom of the page...
- Make 2 checkboxes in the post.php file so admins and moderators can post new topics that are sticky and/or closed from the beginning (nice to have if you just want to make a statement and don't want any replys..)
- Change so guests can post messages without entering an email address! If they don't want to write their own email they will write something like: "olle@olle.se" anyway...
- Add a column in the profile database where members can write more information about themselves. And add it on the profile page...
- in admin_forums.php: delete the current radiobutton and add those three: "only admins", "Only admins and moderators" and "For all" (so admins can have their own forums that moderators cannot see or post in..). Add a new checkbox "Allow guests to post in this forum", so you can select which forums guests shall be able to post in and which not.
- Groups would be really nice to have (but you know this already..)!
- A mail system?
- An avatar gallery (if the forum administrator wants it).

Have you found any good way to solve the "new message"-icon problem? So they don't show un-read when you have read them. I solved it myself by adding a column to the user table and there store all read messages topic_id and id. Or, not all of them. I made the column empty every time the user logged in and every time the Visit timeout had gone out. I stored the topic_id and id as this: "topic_id:id" ex: "16:32" and when I was viewing the index or the forums I checked if the posts that had a later last-posed-time than my last-visit-time was in that column, if they weren?t; it had new posts for me. I hade to add 4-5 more database connections though =/

Feel free to comment my suggestions and ask if there's something you don't understand. The six first things isn't that hard to do, I have done them myself on my current punBB forum. The last three things is quite bigger though

It would be nice if you could say if you will add any of these features or if I have to mod them again...

btw. when do you think the new version will be up? whithin a month?

Re: Features in 1.2!!

Madoor wrote:

- Change the admmod so admins can have private forums that moderators (and the other guests) cannot see.

That is a feature that comes more or less automatically with user groups. So yes.

Madoor wrote:

- There's a bug in the search page so everyone can view every forums in the dropdown list (you have written $extra instead of $extra_sql in the SQL almost at the bottom of the page...

That really should be fixed in a release prior to 1.2. We'll see. Thanks for reporting it though :)

Madoor wrote:

- Make 2 checkboxes in the post.php file so admins and moderators can post new topics that are sticky and/or closed from the beginning (nice to have if you just want to make a statement and don't want any replys..)

It really isn't much trouble to post a topic and the click "Stick topic". I doubt admins/mod do is so often that they need a checkbox for it. I won't add this.

Madoor wrote:

- Change so guests can post messages without entering an email address! If they don't want to write their own email they will write something like: "olle@olle.se" anyway...

Hmm, maybe. It takes away one of the perks of registering though.

Madoor wrote:

- Add a column in the profile database where members can write more information about themselves. And add it on the profile page...

No.

Madoor wrote:

- in admin_forums.php: delete the current radiobutton and add those three: "only admins", "Only admins and moderators" and "For all" (so admins can have their own forums that moderators cannot see or post in..). Add a new checkbox "Allow guests to post in this forum", so you can select which forums guests shall be able to post in and which not.

A subfeature of user groups.

Madoor wrote:

- Groups would be really nice to have (but you know this already..)!

Yes, groups are on the list.

Madoor wrote:

- A mail system?

What's a mail system? You mean like a mass mailing system? In that case yes and no. 1.2 will make it really easy to drop in admin modules. A mass e-mail system is a classic admin module.

Madoor wrote:

- An avatar gallery (if the forum administrator wants it).

No.

Madoor wrote:

Have you found any good way to solve the "new message"-icon problem? So they don't show un-read when you have read them. I solved it myself by adding a column to the user table and there store all read messages topic_id and id. Or, not all of them. I made the column empty every time the user logged in and every time the Visit timeout had gone out. I stored the topic_id and id as this: "topic_id:id" ex: "16:32" and when I was viewing the index or the forums I checked if the posts that had a later last-posed-time than my last-visit-time was in that column, if they weren?t; it had new posts for me. I hade to add 4-5 more database connections though =/

There is no good way. We'll see.

Madoor wrote:

btw. when do you think the new version will be up? whithin a month?

I've answered that question twice already today. Sometime during the summer.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

- A mail system?

What's a mail system? You mean like a mass mailing system? In that case yes and no. 1.2 will make it really easy to drop in admin modules. A mass e-mail system is a classic admin module.

oooh oooh oooh! I can't wait! Anything to make my life easier :D

(I can think up so many admin extensions right now ... mmm. But anyway ... )

the ability for users to "opt out" from said mass mail system would be nice too.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

It is possible tu use PunBB *WITH* an other forum as an alternate interface?

In other words, can PunBB use a message base of an other forum without converting it by tools?