Topic: ID tags for tables in html please!

If you just had simple little id tags in all those tables creating a custom style sheet would have taken me maybe three hours intead of the better part of three evenings.

id="threads" id="footer" id="options" id="whatevertheheckyou want it to"

I mean, okay, it wasn't THAT annoying to hack through the very lovely and easy-to-read php, but still.

For anyone who has strong css skills, the lack of table id tags prevents them from really flexing their design props.  You have to be able to face the php and not freak out, which not many designers I've worked with would feel comfortable doing.

Also, man, those non-breaking spaces should be totally axed.  And that freaky blank spacer table?  If BBEdit didn't have such a nice search and replace, I'm sure I would have given up.

(Hey, I looked for a better thread to post this in, but everyone seems very focused on the compact css instead of the html.  Or did I just miss the topic?)

Still love the app, despite the nested tables.

-- H

Re: ID tags for tables in html please!

It's all changed in v1.2. Paul is working on it :)

Paul wrote:

All of it's changed. You will be able to do considerably more to style PunBB but doing the basic things like changing colour scheme will be easier than it is now. I have given thought to those who have integrated PunBB into their sites and have used PunBB class names for their own pages. Their sites should still work fine with virtually no alterations needed.

Edit: The quote is from this thread.

heidip: In the next release virtually all the tables are gone. All the main elements have id's and just about all the board elements can be accessed using contextual selectors if a class if not available or needs to be overruled. Does that cheer you up.

Paul wrote:

Does that cheer you up.

YAY!

Actually, I wonder if it does cheer me up.  I'll have to redo that whole custom style.  Should I have waited?

But, no!  It does cheer me up!  Because the style sheet I made as a result is ridiculously huge and it will be worth it to redo.  Staring at all those nearly identical names through bleary eyes... table.punmain tr.puncon2 td.puncon2cent {....  Or was it puncon3cent?  or puncon1 or td.puncon3?  hahahah.  You can see it's very, very fresh in my memory.

-- H

Your eyes are really going to suffer with 1.2 then

#punvf TD.punc1, #punvf TD.punc3, #punvf TD.puncrt {background-color:#f9f9f9}

oh god.

As long as .puncon1right isn't the LEFT column.

(Yes, I know it's because the text-align was "right"...)