Topic: Jabber

It would be nice if Jabber was added to user profiles since a lot of other IM systems are listed.

2 (edited by postal 2004-03-23 22:26)

Re: Jabber

who is Jabber

Ej uz parku shitus lasīt???

postal: You first say "yes" and then ask what Jabber is? I don't get it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Sorry,I  resolve it problem

Ej uz parku shitus lasīt???

from http://www.jabber.org:

Jabber is a set of streaming XML protocols and technologies that enable any two entities on the Internet to exchange messages, presence, and other structured information in close to real time. The first Jabber application is an instant messaging (IM) network that offers functionality similar to legacy IM services such as AIM, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo. However, Jabber is more than just IM, and Jabber technologies offer several key advantages ...

--

Basically it's an Open Messaging System.  It's too bad more people don't use it.  A great feature is it's ability (through "transports") to send messages to other IM systems (e.g. AIM, MSN, etc).

I'll consider it. Like you pointed out yourself, not a lot of people use it, and therefore I'm a bit sceptical.

BTW, what's the best client for Windows?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Miranda?

My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.

Hmm, ok. Why is Jabber better than anything else? For me, the best IM service is one that is currently most popular. The only reason I would ever use an IM service is because someone else needed me to. IRC has been doing the IM thing since 1988 and it's still king :)

Because it is sorta like Private Messages? o_O.

while (punbb)
{
     punnerbb();
}

Rickard wrote:

what's the best client for Windows?

Prefer Trillian my self.
http://www.trillian.cc

You can try GIM, Gobal IM.
No linkage for that though...

Do, or do not.

11 (edited by oohp 2004-05-15 11:26)

I'm using Psi, it's a very good cross platform Jabber client written with the Qt toolkit. There are many others, check http://www.jabber.org/ and pick the one that suits you best. Jabber has server gateways to other IM services like Yahoo/MSN/AIM/ICQ so you can also contact your friends on these services. Check that jabber.org link for more info or look here for a brief description.

I use Jabber as well. Jabber is real useful because it can be easily implemented for groupware, used in a JavaScript script to send messages. It can also allow you (on certain servers) to connect to multiple other IM services. I would like a button for that so more people would discover Jabber.

Imagine if you  had to have different email accounts to email people on different email networks... well jabber's a bit like the current email system - It's a free, open standard (also like irc) anyone can run a server, and they can all connect to each other. The way im should be.

On top of that IM is just an application of the system, there's lots more that can, and will be done with it.

As it's open there's lots of software and toys(some good, some not). A lot of development is hosted on jabberstudio. Use Jabber for IM,
Jabber World map, edgar, using jabber as a log monitor. Mimír news service, Jabber virtual presence project. delphiforums have jabber chat integated with the site.

Exodus is one of the better windows jabber clients.

PunBB is the best forum and Jabber is the best IM. Why are they best? The key advantage for me is an ideology of probuct.

Ah. This was the feature I wanted to request as well.

Rickard wrote:

Why is Jabber better than anything else?

Because it's the only mature IM-system standardized by the Internet Engineering Task Force (http://www.ietf.org/)? Among other things it means that the protocol, XMPP, is open. Besides, it's distributed, meaning that anyone can set up a Jabber server and anyone registered on that server can communicate with any other Jabber user in the world. Sort of like e-mail. (That was one of the IETF requirements.)

Ok. One question then. What does a Jabber username look like? Is it an e-mail address? How short can it be? How long can it be?

Edit: Er, four question, I mean :)

maggu wrote:

Besides, it's distributed, meaning that anyone can set up a Jabber server and anyone registered on that server can communicate with any other Jabber user in the world. Sort of like e-mail. (That was one of the IETF requirements.)

hmm, only get one thought about this... spam ... how is spam stopped, if anyone can set up a server?
(just think of all mailservers that aren't secure enough, causing millions and milions of spam emails sent all over the world)

18 (edited by maggu 2004-11-01 12:48)

Rickard wrote:

What does a Jabber username look like?

It has the same syntax as an e-mail address (except that international characters, like å, ä and ö may be used), but it's not an e-mail address. In other words like this, in ABNF-notation:

[ node "@" ] domain [ "/" resource ]

Or, to be more specifik, like this:

jid             = [ node "@" ] domain [ "/" resource ]
domain          = fqdn / address-literal
fqdn            = (sub-domain 1*("." sub-domain))
sub-domain      = (internationalized domain label)
address-literal = IPv4address / IPv6address

For example, my Jabber address is maggu@jabber.org. It's possible to add a resource as well (maggu@jabber.org/Home), in order to e.g. use the same Jabber id for home and work and still be able to reach a specific location.

Ok, so if there was a Jabber field in the profile, you would enter maggu@jabber.org or if you had setup a "home resource" or whatever, you would enter maggu@jabber.org/Home?

Frank H wrote:

how is spam stopped, if anyone can set up a server?

That is a potential problem, but you have the same problem even when it's not possible for anyone to set up a server. In that case, anyone can still register with the service to send spam. The solution is the same: To refuse communication with some IP numbers if and when needed.

At least you can't set anything you wish as sender id, the way you can in SMTP (the current Internet e-mail protocol).

Rickard wrote:

Ok, so if there was a Jabber field in the profile, you would enter maggu@jabber.org or if you had setup a "home resource" or whatever, you would enter maggu@jabber.org/Home?

Yes. (I would enter maggu@jabber.org myself.)

Btw, I don't really think anyone will ever have any need to specify a specific resource in this context.

maggu wrote:

Yes. (I would enter maggu@jabber.org myself.)

Btw, I don't really think anyone will ever have any need to specify a specific resource in this context.

Ok, thanks. I'll put it on the list.

OK. Thank you. smile

Done.