Topic: Posts only appear after approval by admin

Thsi is a feature of some BBS. I realize it's a little odd, but we run a forum for a company that does not wish to see spam and superfluous posts in  their visitor forum.

Is there any way to easily implement this?

My own software sends me an email with a form I can actually correct  of the post. It appears only if I post it.

The traffic is very small on the forum I'm talking about.

thx

Re: Posts only appear after approval by admin

I think it's quite alot of changes actually...

It's not enough to change so that guests can't post in the forum then?

The idea is that anyone can post.

However, no post (except an admin) can appear without being seen first by an admin.

Here's why: we woke up one day to a long war related-post (not the current war, years ago) and since then we do not allow posting without vetting.

I know that Phorum can do this, but it does seem less efficient than PunBB.

Many people do not want to register with an email and all just to post a single message. My own forum (in C) just accepts posts and emails the admin who is free to approve or not. I don't particularly want to rewrite the thing for use with style sheets, but maybe that's exactly what I should do! smile

Hmm, okey... there's no "company users" in the forum (excepts admins/moderators) then smile

This make's it alot easier! Maybe I'll look at it later today.

Let me try to be more clear here.

The forum I'm talking about is in a way like a guest book. There may be returning visitors, but there may also just be people who want to post once. In no case can a post be visible before we see it because it may be offensive (as happened once.)

So you go to a site, you read a few posts of other visitors on a particular subject (let's say tasting notes of wine) and you want o add yours.

What I am looking for would be a forum where registration is not mandatory (or very easy) but the main feature is that the posts do not appear until approved.

In my own forum,  when a user "posts" all he is really doing is causing an email to be sent to me with a forum that contains his/her post. If I ignore thbis, nothing happens and n o database entry is made - very clean, you see? If I hit the submit button ont he forum, the post is ummm, posted on the forum with the info of the user.

I hope that clears it up. I'm not sure PunBB is something that will ever do this (it is a fine piece of work by the way) but it's helpful for me to kick the ideas around.

Ok, I understand what you mean.

No, it will probably never be a "Original PunBB"-thing, but it might not be that hard to write a mod after all. I'll do a test, then we'll see if you like it smile

Posting a reply now to subscribe in case you come up witrh anything smile

Done! There's a test-furum online here (not that much works yet though smile)

Just login with user: 'test', passwd: 'user'. Is the Admin->Approve-list ok?

that is very interesting!

Do you (admin) receive an email when someone posts?

No, but that's no problem to fix.

Otherwise it's okey then?

Pretty cool actually - one this though, the public should'nt even see the thread subject without approval because they could say hoorible things right in the subject

Very impressive what you did though!

Yeah, that shouldn't be too problematic. I believe the best solution would be to add a new column to the posts and topics tables that sets whether a post is "approved" or not.

I'll add it to the TODO list for PunBB 1.2.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Kennel: It's more than you think smile

It's alot of small things, like not saving last_post in the forum-table untill you approved it  and so on... If you're adding it in PunBB 1.2, do you have any idea of when it might be released? (it's no use for me to make it if you're gonna add it in a few weeks anyway)

Folks this is interesting stuff...

I hope PunBB works out for you - it's fun to be "a part of it" however small...
I didn't seriously expect to see such things incorporated so quickly and I  don't know if others care about them, but I do know that in this day and age, I can't allow open posting on a customer's site.

Good luck and thanks for all the fish!

This is interesting stuff. It occurs to me that post vetting as is being worked on would also be useful to anybody who wanted to develop news/articles/tutorial mods where it was also essential that submissions were vetted prior to making it onto the board.

before I go to dinner...

A forum is another form of online content management. When you persuade people to contribute intelligently to a forum, they provide content. In order to ensure high quality of that content, vetting is needed. That way there is never any spam or inappropriate posts.

In this way a forum is a kind of "group blog". The admin approval is important for this reason IMHO.

Good night !

Just picking this topic up, is there anything around still that does this?

I've had libelous posts on my forum lately which have been taken to court. Whilst I'm in a  legally acceptable position at the moment with the actions I take (ie, registration terms and also quick deletion,) action has been threatened if I can't stop these posts appearing in the first place. (and whilst I don't know about if this will be successful I can't  afford to contest if it did happen, although it is something which would affect the majority of forums I guess.)

Anyway, one solution is to have a team of mods read each post before it is added to the forum....any news on where this mod got too at all?

Cheers,
Rich