Topic: modding punbb for my site.

hello.

ive finally got the inpiration to start a new site.  basicly i want to let designers (signatures and such) upload or link their artwork on my site.  members could rank artwork and comment giving suggestions and pointers.  although the upload section and forums would look different they could actually be the same thing.

i know something like this would actually require quite a bit of work and i figure a well modified version of punbb would be well suited for the job.  im sure rickard did a much better job coding a posting system than i could ever hope to acheeve. 

i was wondering if anybody had other suggestions as to how i could pull this off.  i was thinking i could create a forum topic that isnt visible in the regular portion of the forum by modifiying the sql statement.  then use a second viewtopic.php and viewforum.php to display the images ect.  i want the comments under the images to have all the same features and benefits of using the forum just not look like it.  of coruse i would still include rickards link down at the bottom of everything.

thanks for any tips. smile

Re: modding punbb for my site.

Well the answer to how much work this would require really depends on how you do it.

You could actually do it by using an gallery system with ranking and comments like coppermine.

Im not sure if theres a gallery script for punBB? I guess you have already researched that one.

I think re-coding punBB would require more work that making the gallery system out side of punBB. It really depends how much of the fourm you intend to use.

Sorry I can't be more specific with my answer but theres a lot of things that determine the out come. If I was going to do such I thing I would run punBB and a gallery system and link the login sessions and DB. It requires the least amount of work though multiple sessions can be confusing. How good are you with PHP?

well i did code this comment and ranking system myself. http://www.f8klan.com/vids_game.php

the parser was the only thing i didnt make. i borrowed that from punbb.  thats what actually gave me the idea.  i know php and am beginning to understand how the forum works but theirs still alot of question i would probably have to ask on irc (if i could get ahold of rick smile) coppermine was another thing i thought of.  i just dont know how i would tie the userdatabase together.  my users wouldnt remember two passwords  or even bother registering twice.

i still think i would like to go with modifying punbb.  if just to keep my information more centeralized.

You can get coppermine to run out of your punbb user table, so no extra registering needed.

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4208

im a little messed up i think.  i posted a question on your test forum.

Can you post/PM a link to where coppermine is installed ?

7 (edited by sporkit 2004-07-30 18:42)

http://www.sporkit.com/dsu/gallery/index.php

try uploading i gave anon access.  small files usually work.  bigger ones die.  the files get put on the server but are corrupt.

Looks like you haven't even setup the bridge yet.

Christ, those are some huge knockers :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

lol forget the gallery just put large versions of the pictures wink

Connorhd wrote:

lol forget the gallery just put large versions of the pictures ;)

Yes, I agree, so we can test large image viewing in Coppermine ;)

haha, yea thats my girlfriend....  i wish big_smile