1 (edited by Madoor 2004-09-02 18:49)

Topic: Groups in 1.2

Right now all moderators have access to the admin panel (although it's fewer alternatives for mods than for admins there). I have 2 different moderators on my site: 1 group that are moderators for the whole site and 1 group that are just moderators for a specific forum and is only supposed to delete and move posts and also tell members that acts irresponsible that hey are doing something that isn't legal on our forum.

Well, in group 1 I have 2 mods that I want to have full access to the moderatos admin control panel and 3 mods that shouldn't be able to access the moderator control panel at all (accept from editing users and view reports). Group 2 shouldn't have access to the moderator control panel at all (not editing users or anything! Just have the ability to delete, move etc posts in one or several specific forums).

I also have 2 users in group 1 that shall have access to the ADMIN forum, but the rest of the moderators in that group shall not be able to view it! And I would also like to be able to choose if the rest of the moderators should be able to view the moderator forum or if only some of them should.

Will I find those functions in 1.2 or do I have to make them myself? I do think other admins would like to have those functions aswell! Sure I understand you think a moderator should be able to moderate the whole forum, but I don't think everyone needs to be able to do that! Sometimes you just need someone to look for bad posts.

I would also like admins and moderators to be displayed in different colors/bold on the "online list" on the front page of the forum.

Another thing that would be nice is if the moderators and admins could get a link "edit user" in the profiles instead of just viewing the "update form" every time you open a profile.

A bug or something: you can't change color to the announcement text right now either! I can make the text bold with HTML, but can't change the color of it.

Re: Groups in 1.2

Madoor wrote:

Right now all moderators have access to the admin panel (although it's fewer alternatives for mods than for admins there). I have 2 different moderators on my site: 1 group that are moderators for the whole site and 1 group that are just moderators for a specific forum and is only supposed to delete and move posts and also tell members that acts irresponsible that hey are doing something that isn't legal on our forum.

Well, in group 1 I have 2 mods that I want to have full access to the moderatos admin control panel and 3 mods that shouldn't be able to access the moderator control panel at all (accept from editing users and view reports). Group 2 shouldn't have access to the moderator control panel at all (not editing users or anything! Just have the ability to delete, move etc posts in one or several specific forums).

I also have 2 users in group 1 that shall have access to the ADMIN forum, but the rest of the moderators in that group shall not be able to view it! And I would also like to be able to choose if the rest of the moderators should be able to view the moderator forum or if only some of them should.

Will I find those functions in 1.2 or do I have to make them myself?

Not really. You will be able to assign global moderator rights (e.g. moderators can change usernames, moderators can ban etc), but it won't be possible to create two different moderator groups with individual rights. At least I don't think we'll go that way.

Madoor wrote:

I do think other admins would like to have those functions aswell! Sure I understand you think a moderator should be able to moderate the whole forum, but I don't think everyone needs to be able to do that! Sometimes you just need someone to look for bad posts.

Well, moderators in 1.1 aren't automatically moderators in all forums. You have to assign them forums in which they can moderate. However, they do have access to edit people profiles and to add/edit/remove bans.

Madoor wrote:

I would also like admins and moderators to be displayed in different colors/bold on the "online list" on the front page of the forum.

Probably not. You'll have to install a mod for that. Not sure there is one right now though.

Madoor wrote:

Another thing that would be nice is if the moderators and admins could get a link "edit user" in the profiles instead of just viewing the "update form" every time you open a profile.

Why? It's one more click to get the job done.

Madoor wrote:

A bug or something: you can't change color to the announcement text right now either! I can make the text bold with HTML, but can't change the color of it.

<span style="color: red">Test</span>

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Smartys 2004-09-02 20:31)

Rickard wrote:
Madoor wrote:

Will I find those functions in 1.2 or do I have to make them myself?

Not really. You will be able to assign global moderator rights (e.g. moderators can change usernames, moderators can ban etc), but it won't be possible to create two different moderator groups with individual rights. At least I don't think we'll go that way.

Well, I know (at least in 1.1.5) you can mod in a new level of user (although it would take a little work). If you added a new tier of mods in like that, you could have a group of forum mods (forum only) and a group of mods that have all regular mod powers.

And if you really want to give moderators full access to the admin interface, IMO the easiest way is to give them admin and then the custom tag Moderator.

Rickard wrote:

<span style="color: red">Test</span>

hmmm... okidoki. I tried <font color="FF0000">Text</font> and that didn't work =/

To give different moderator groups different rights shouldn't be too hard to make, so I really think it would be great to have it in 1.2! You click the group name and in there you can change the settings for that particular group... You don't have to make 1 new menu in the admin control panel for each group you know...

About the color thingy... Not so hard to make myself, so I won't die if you won't waste your time on it wink

About the profile and that you should be able to read it as well as update it: can't you make a link with "show profile" in the "update profile" site then? It's sweet to be able to read the members profiles and not just read it in the textareas etc.

Madoor wrote:

To give different moderator groups different rights shouldn't be too hard to make, so I really think it would be great to have it in 1.2! You click the group name and in there you can change the settings for that particular group... You don't have to make 1 new menu in the admin control panel for each group you know...

Just because something isn't hard to code, doesn't mean it has to be in. I've said it before and I'll say it a million times more: if you need lots of features, choose a different bulletin board.

Madoor wrote:

About the profile and that you should be able to read it as well as update it: can't you make a link with "show profile" in the "update profile" site then? It's sweet to be able to read the members profiles and not just read it in the textareas etc.

I'll consider it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

ok, thx