Topic: Mail does not function

I have installed yesterday the latest version of PunBB, and by testing, trying to send an email over the board I have been confronted with the following problem/error message:

"An error was encountered Error:
Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message: "504 LOGIN mechanism not supported ".

I have contacted my ISP in Germany and they have told me that their server requires and authentification.

Unfortunatelly I am not a PHP programmer, so I wanted to ask if someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

John

Re: Mail does not function

Try adding your username and password in admin/options ("SMTP username" and "SMTP password"). I'm guessing you've already entered your SMTP server address there.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Webnauts 2004-09-06 00:40)

I did all that already. Whats now? Did I have forgotten to delete something?
Here is the board: http://www.webnauts.net/forums/upload/

Possible reasons:

1. Your SMTP server might require that you login via POP before you send any e-mails. That is, you can only send e-mails after you have first checked for any incoming e-mails. This is quite common in Sweden.

2. Your SMTP server uses a different authorisation mechanism than the one PunBB supports.

Either way, you won't be able to send e-mails with that SMTP server through PunBB (or any other forum software I know of). What kind of host are you running it on? Doesn't it have a local mail server? What happens if you don't put anything in "SMTP server address", "SMTP username" and "SMTP password"?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

5 (edited by Webnauts 2004-09-06 01:09)

Rickard thanks! It works when I don't put anything in "SMTP server address", "SMTP username" and "SMTP password".

By the way, is their a "Mass Email" option? I did not find it yet. And can I import my DB of my phpBB forum in PunBB?

Webnauts wrote:

By the way, is their a "Mass Email" option? I did not find it yet. And can I import my DB of my phpBB forum in PunBB?

No, there's no mass-mail-functions built into PunBB.

You can find converters in the download section at punbb.org.

If I convert the DB, will it definetely fit to the PunBB?
Here is my phpBB: http://forum.webnauts.net

Here is my PunBB: http://www.webnauts.net/forums/upload/index.php

If I upload the new DB, can I redo it if it does not work properly?

Thanks.

By using the DB Converter I get the following error message:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to get table: users.

Can you help me with that?

Webnauts wrote:

By using the DB Converter I get the following error message:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to get table: users.

Can you help me with that?

Enable debug-mode in punbb (look in ./include/common.php), what's the error-message now?

Urgeant issue. I was making some configs and I a have lost my rights as an admin. How can I recover that?

What you said above, I will look at that later. Thanks for your help.

If you've got access to the database (using phpmyadmin or something similar), just change 'status' to 2 in the users-table on yourself.

I do not have PhpAdmin installed. Any other option?

Find a way to run the query:

UPDATE users SET status=2 WHERE username='Webnauts';

Rickard, I have installed phpMyAdmin, but I do not know where and how to insert the values you have mentioned above. Can you give me a hand please? I stiil have no admin rights.

And just upon this chance I wanted to mention that I am configuring the forums frontend for accessibility, and all files meet the W3C/WAI WCAG 1.0 AAA except of the files:

1. extern.php
2. footer.php
3. header.php

The only problems I have with these files, I get an accessibility error message with Bobby Online that a "Doctype" and "Title" are missing.

And my problem is that I cannot programm PHP. Can you give me a hand?
That is obviously a joke for you.

Thanks a lot for all.

Rickard, I have installed phpMyAdmin, but I do not know where and how to insert the values you have mentioned above. Can you give me a hand please? I stiil have no admin rights.

And just upon this chance I wanted to mention that I am configuring the forums frontend for accessibility, and all files meet the W3C/WAI WCAG 1.0 AAA except of the files:

1. extern.php
2. footer.php
3. header.php

The only problems I have with these files, I get an accessibility error message with Bobby Online that a "Doctype" and "Title" are missing.

Thanks a lot for all.

Webnauts wrote:

Select your database in the dropdown to the left, then click SQL and enter the query I posted above. That should do it.

Webnauts wrote:

1. extern.php
2. footer.php
3. header.php

Thanks a lot for all.

Those files aren't meant to be accessed directly to view in your browser, so all is well. footer.php and header.php are included from other scripts in the forum and extern.php is meant to be used to include e.g. a list of active topics to include on your website front page. It can also be used for syndication (RSS).

Thanks a lot for your kind support Rickard.