Topic: Few Questions

I have a few questions for you all. I installed punbb on my website and I like it alot. I do have a few questions about it.

1. Will search engines index the forums without needing to add special modifications to it. I know in PHPBB search engines will not index that forum and its post unless you add special mods to it.

2. Have you guys though about adding a pm system to punbb. It would be very easy to do in PHP.

3. Have you though about adding a option 'overide user skins' in the admin cp. This would also be dead easy to do.

4. Is there anyway I can get invovled with helping out with punbb. I can code in several languages including PHP and would really love to somehow get invovled.

--Jordie

Re: Few Questions

Jordie wrote:

2. Have you guys though about adding a pm system to punbb. It would be very easy to do in PHP.

There is a PM mod Go here

Jordie wrote:

4. Is there anyway I can get invovled with helping out with punbb. I can code in several languages including PHP and would really love to somehow get invovled.

the only real way you could help out is when the full release of 1.2 comes out help look for bugs. thats what im gona do.

1. Good question. I would like to know the answer as well.

2. There is a mod http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3087

3. No need. If you have a style which you want everyone to use just remove all the other stylesheets.

Thanks for the help. I do have one other question on the mod read me file it says to upload all the new files. Do I upload it in the same directory as punbb and overright files or what? It should get more specific.

Don't know offhand, I don't use it. Post your question in the thread we gave you above. The mods author Chacmool will tell you all you need to know.

usually you upload new files (do not overwrite old ones), and edit ones that are already there,

Jordie wrote:

1. Will search engines index the forums without needing to add special modifications to it. I know in PHPBB search engines will not index that forum and its post unless you add special mods to it.

To tell you the truth, I don't know how well search engines index PunBB forums. I googled a bit and was able to find some topics here at punbb.org, but not all. Googlebot did hit the site 18441 times last month. That's 4.2% of all hits. It must be up to something :)

Does anyone have any idea on what basis e.g. Googlebot makes it's decision to index or not? I know they don't like session ID's in the URL's and I believe that is one thing that the mods do for e.g. phpBB. PunBB doesn't use sessions at all, so at least that shouldn't be a problem.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

there was a massive topic on phpbb.com about what google likes but i can't find it now :S

Rickard wrote:

Does anyone have any idea on what basis e.g. Googlebot makes it's decision to index or not?

Just from my personal view, Googlebot indexes all my PunBB forum topics. I think it has to do with the fact that I link to each topic in the footer of my CMS items.

Don't know what it does when it hits the forum straight away.

Just google for it smile

http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html#A1
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=319554

Some forums use so-called "session ids" which are almost totally ignored by google:
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html#A1
"we limit the amount of dynamic pages we index"

Nevertheless, some forums appear to be static sites since they
automatically recognize googlebot and don't use session ids in this
case.
If the front page of your forum has been indexed and you don't use
those dynamic links, google will index the whole forum.

That sounds promising.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."