Topic: Forum help

Hi everybody, I wan't to add a forum to my site.

I see this is kinda cool, so I just have a couple of questions.

Some features that I have so far chosen not to implement are: private messaging, file attachments in posts, definable user groups, polls, post preview, linking to off-site avatars, advanced text formatting controls, subforums etc etc.

Subforums, I want a headung like bikes and then topics under that, like dirt bikes ,kit, gear, preformance. Could I do this or is that subforums?

File attachment, could people post pics of their bikes?

Linking to off-site avatars, so how will users get avatars?

definable user groups?????

Sorry but I'm new at this
Please help

2 (edited by hcgtv 2004-09-25 22:39)

Re: Forum help

Bikes would be a category, dirt bikes, kit, etc would be forums.

Pictures can be included in posts with the [img] bbcode markup. Images would reside out on the net, not on your server.

My bike:
http://hcgtv.com/media/attach/mybikebd.jpg

Users can upload avatars to the forum.

Users groups are member, moderator and administrator. They can also be ranked by number of posts on your forum.

Iceblade wrote:

Subforums, I want a headung like bikes and then topics under that, like dirt bikes ,kit, gear, preformance. Could I do this or is that subforums?

No problem. You would then create a category called bikes and forums in that category called dirt bikes, kit, gear etc. It's when you want to put forums inside those forums you would run into problems.

Iceblade wrote:

File attachment, could people post pics of their bikes?

Yes, but they would have to host the images themselves. They can't upload them to your server.

Iceblade wrote:

Linking to off-site avatars, so how will users get avatars?

They upload them to your server. Check it out in your profile here at punbb.org.

Iceblade wrote:

definable user groups?????

In the current PunBB version, you can't create your own user groups. You'll have to settle for guests, users, moderators and admins. In the next version (1.2), you will be able to add your own groups and e.g. allow them access to a certain forum.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

When is 1.2 coming out?

When it's done :)

I think it'll probably take at least a couple of months...

So I can load the current version and when 1.2 comes out , will it update or how would it work?

Yes, you will be able to update to 1.2 when it's released.

Nice smile

I see the forum has no smileys or colour text or bold or bigger letters.

Can this be added?

Now what are you talking about? smile

http://punbb.org/forums/help.php#BBCode wink

How did you do that?

The following tags change the appearance of text:

Bold text produces Bold text
    Underlined text produces Underlined text
    Italic text produces Italic text
    Red text produces Red text