Topic: subscribtion

Hi,

It would be good to have this in punbb:

When you're admin, you like to know when a message is post on your forum. To know it you have to go to your forum to see. It would be great if we could subscribe to the whole forum in order to know when a new post comes.

Is it possible to make this with 1.2?

Re: subscribtion

Don't like that idea at all...

I believe this feature has been requested before (or something similar to it). I won't make any promises, but I'll consider it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Andy wrote:

Don't like that idea at all...

If you don't like it, you'll just have not to use it. For me it would be appreciable.

Thanks Rickard to considere it. I don't think it will need an enormous work.
Working on the existing process (subscribtion to post) will, in my opinion, enable to have a good solution.

Thanks again,

Ludo

I was only putting forward an opinion. And since this is not meant to be a bloated script with features which aren't needed, I felt it necessary to make a post about your requested feature.

If other people find it necessary, fine; implement it.

in huge forum you will have many messages, some Host provider not like it (eat bandwidth or suppose it as SPAMs)
I am waiting PunBB 1.2 for make my MOD "Email Digests" doing it for admin only.

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Andy wrote:

I was only putting forward an opinion. And since this is not meant to be a bloated script with features which aren't needed, I felt it necessary to make a post about your requested feature.

If other people find it necessary, fine; implement it.

I undersant your point of view but hearing Rickard, He had ever been asked about that. Moreover I can see that somebody is asking the same fonction:

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4768

The solution would be that that this function could enable to suscribe to the whole forum, or to an only category, or just to a forum.

zaher wrote:

in huge forum you will have many messages, some Host provider not like it (eat bandwidth or suppose it as SPAMs)
I am waiting PunBB 1.2 for make my MOD "Email Digests" doing it for admin only.

in a huge forum, you would desactivate this function so that there would be no problem with host provider.

9 (edited by zaher 2004-09-30 19:25)

i have the same problem with my 3 sites that mean everyday i must check my forums. but if we have this MOD we can receive a disgest mails in one email accouns.

i have releaed  "Digest Mailer" in PunRes.org but just i need to add options for Admin and make some code to complete the MOD.

but i am waiting 1.2 to open it. (i am too lazy big_smile)

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

Can't you keep up-to-date with RSS and save all those emails?

..RSS is sweet, and should be included in every news/forum/chat program.

I also dont like the attitude of a few forum members who run around saying "Its supposed to be lite, thats a bloat feature.", while true, any feature beyond a put and get is a bloat feature...CSS, XHTML, Smilies, BBCode, User Groups, Moderation, Admin, Login, Registration...while its bloat to one person, it might not be bloat to others.

In the end it doesnt matter much.  I have faith that Rickard will make the forum the best he can and will make it the way he wants it with "lite" being his primay goal and focus.

why would you really want this, i mean you either
a) want to check all new posts (the big ! image next to forums)
or
b) want to check specific new posts (subscribe to them)

ShayneB wrote:

I also dont like the attitude of a few forum members who run around saying "Its supposed to be lite, thats a bloat feature.", while true, any feature beyond a put and get is a bloat feature...CSS, XHTML, Smilies, BBCode, User Groups, Moderation, Admin, Login, Registration...while its bloat to one person, it might not be bloat to others.

So users should just ignore features they disagree with? Are we not entitled to an opinion?

I agree it might not be bloat to another, but people who think it is bloat should just not post their thoughts?

For me, the only thing which is a problem (and it's OK on 1.2 ... ?) is to "take" the ip of a new member who wants to spam by creating several accounts ... smile that's all.

Before this becomes ugly, everyone just count to ten please.

I agree with ShayneB. What is a useful feature for one person is bloat for someone else. I understand why this feature could be useful in very low activity forums, but that doesn't mean I'm going to put it in there. I'll consider it. End of story.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

whatever your happy with rickard, you have got the balance pretty perfect so far wink