Re: PunBB 1.2 development source

And a new release:

2004-09-29
""""""""""
*  Added admin plugin support. Adding third party admin interface
   functionality should now be much easier.
*  Merged admin_menu() and moderator_menu() into generate_admin_menu().

2004-09-28
""""""""""
*  The display of the forum rules is now displayed properly instead of in a
   message() box with the header "Info".

The big thing this time is the admin plugin thingy. Have a look at the example plugin in the directory "plugins" (duh!) and tell me what you think about it. This implementation is rather crude in comparison to some other web application plugin systems, but it is effective and there are virtually no limits to what you can do. As you can see, a plugin is "installed" by just dropping it in the plugin directory. I like that :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Just so people know. Is this a file overwrite or clean install job?

File overwrite. No need to reinstall.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I just updated the download to fix two things:

1. The clearer div no longer has be to appended (it's done in admin_loader.php instead).
2. Fixed go back link in the example plugin not working.

Thanks Paul :)

Paul wrote:

Just so people know. Is this a file overwrite or clean install job?

I do a source compre of install.php, if there are no changes then it's safe to overwrite the files.

Keep up the good work smile

And another update. Paul has tweaked the markup and CSS (primarily for the admin interface) and I've made some changes to the plugin "API". It's even simpler now. Admin/mod permissions are determined entirely based on the prefix in the file name (AP vs. AMP), so there's no need for the permission check at the top of plugins.

No database changes are required. However, I recommend that you delete everything but config.php and install a fresh copy (some CSS files have been renamed).

133 (edited by jacobswell 2004-10-01 07:55)

I've just tested search page and it just says "Your search returned no hits." Is it because it is not finished? the author search is working but when I use the keyword search, no results. & I like your plugin API.

EDIT:
hmm. I think the problem is the test forum / test post which is created automatically when punbb is installed. if I post any articles it works except the test post. for example another post is made and has a text like "panel test", and if we search "panel", the listed post is only the recent post even though the test post has the "panel" word. is test post is a ghost post?

EDIT:
interesting. after I edited the test post (I just added "test"), the search page works well. now it includes the test post while searching.

134 (edited by jacobswell 2004-10-01 05:26)

1. in Admin page / maintenance

If you've added, edited or removed posts manually in the database of if you switched language while there were posts in the database,

I think "in the database, if you" is right.

2. How about having any permission that allows guest(s) see the user's profile?

jacobswell: Correct. The initial test post isn't indexed.

Fixed the typo in admin_maintenance. Thanks.

Not sure why you wouldn't want guests to see user profiles.

I forgot to rename the new message icons in img/. The should start with a capital letter. You can rename them manually :)

Rickard wrote:

And another update. Paul has tweaked the markup and CSS (primarily for the admin interface)

Translation: Paul screwed something up and had to fix it.

Paul wrote:

Translation: Paul screwed something up and had to fix it.

Don't be so hard on yourself :) It worked before and now it works better. Thus, it has been tweaked.

yeh Paul the new layout for punbb is amazing tongue your allowed to make "mistakes"

Rickard wrote:

[It worked before and now it works better.

I've got PunBB 1.1.5 and PunBB 1.2dev installed and I'm using both equally.

And I have to agree, the 1.2 version works better and faster. The new markup that Paul has worked on is very nice and the enhancememts by Rickard are very welcome.

Since this is still a dev release, I believe much will fluctuate before it's released.

Why importing "pun12base.css" in the "Oxygen.css" file

@import url(imports/pun12base.css);

not in "header.php"

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/imports/pun12base.css" />

Is that mean not all of themes css files import pun12base.css?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

It's more flexible. If you wanted, you could make a style that does not import from the base stylesheet. If base was imported from header.php, you wouldn't have much choice.

Yes. All themes will need a base file but it does not have to be that one. If somebody wants to do something more dramatic with styling then they can use their own base file by changing the @import.  I hope that also makes it easier for RTL languages because they could have a special RTL base file. You could also have a mixture of themes, some which used the default base file and some which used their own.

hope some one will have time to make a styling guide.

perhaps a bit extended aswell, so the modders know how to use different things, now with the new usage CSS and such wink

Gizzmo wrote:

There will certainly be an online stylesheet guide together with a stylesheet reference explaining what every id, class etc does.

awsome, btw in the install file i get this problem

http://justgizzmo.com/site/images/Error.JPG

i dont get it with IE but i do with Opera, its not a big deal cuz you only see the install file once but for other ppl this might bug em.

Fixed (I think). Immediatelly following line 160 insert <br class="clearer" />

good to know.

Paul wrote:
Gizzmo wrote:

There will certainly be an online stylesheet guide together with a stylesheet reference explaining what every id, class etc does.

Sounds cool