1 (edited by Frank H 2004-10-22 18:22)

Topic: Search not finding with AND

I was going to search for some stuff, and used alot of AND to make sure I get the exact phrase ... but it turned out that search didn't find anything ...

Unable AND to AND connect AND to AND MySQL AND server

" Your search returned no hits."

(and there are posts with that stuff) ... so then I started to think... and removed all 'short things' or such things that could be in the common words list... and then I got my findings ... (only the "to" words I stripped out)

Unable AND connect AND MySQL AND server

Resulting in numerous hits

perhaps it's best to make sure the search function either tell the user that some words were too short(same for common words?) and that the search could not be performed.
Edit: and perhaps do a search with the words not 'ignored', with a message in page top, that words this and that wasn't used due to ... etc. ?

Re: Search not finding with AND

I'm on it. I know what the problem is.

Edit: Fixed in 1.2. It doesn't output any info to the user about words that were removed from the search (<3 characters), but at least it works properly :)

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Why not use + for AND, / for OR for multi language forum?

If your people come crazy, you will not need to your mind any more.

You can actually. PunBB replaces + and && with AND, - with NOT and || with OR.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."