1 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-12-03 13:12)

Topic: Topic Name Truncate Option for Administrators

This is an for an Admin:Options addition...

The idea would be to let administrators allow full topic names in the navigation bar or give them an option to truncate the topic names to a chosen number of characters.

For example:
Allowing full names... (the way it works now)
PunBB.org Forums » Feature requests » Topic Name Truncate Option for Administrators

And truncated topic names... (set to truncate at 15 characters)
PunBB.org Forums » Feature requests » Topic Name Trun...

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

TemplarPHP - A cascading template framework for PHP.

Re: Topic Name Truncate Option for Administrators

It's not a bad idea. PunBB 1.2 is in feature freeze, but I will consider it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

It it helps in your deliberations, there is no convenient css way of doing it.

4 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-12-01 16:01)

I just realized that doing this might not be a good idea. Truncating the topic display could get annoying if it cuts out the most meaningful parts of the subject. People wise to this would be careful when they were typing the subject to begin with. And if you had forgotten, but wanted to know exactly what the post title was, you'd have to back out of the forum to read the full topic title.

I guess it would be better to put a limit on how long the post titles can be in the first place. The best way to get this effect would be to make an Admin:Option to set the maxlength attribute of the subject input.

Right now it's hard coded to maxlength="70".

Maybe it could default to a max of 70 and have a minimum of about 10.

Latest Open Source project: [img=Templar PHP]http://code.google.com/p/templarphp/logo?logo_id=1251758459[/img]

Why would truncating the breadcrumbs be a problem. People have already seen the full topic title in viewforum so they know what they are looking at.

also there is alot more space in 1.2 for the topic so it won't been to be shortened so much

7 (edited by ShawnBrown 2004-12-02 07:59)

Paul wrote:

Why would truncating the breadcrumbs be a problem. People have already seen the full topic title in viewforum so they know what they are looking at.

True. I'm not saying it'd be a major problem (extern.php does it simply enough). I just like the idea of limiting the topic subjects in the first place for a few reasons...

1. Yes the users will have already read the full post subject, but if--on the off chance--they did need to refer to it again, it seems awkward to make the user back out of the topic then enter it in again.

2. Limiting maxlength instead of truncating will let users know exactly how their post will appear when people are reading it. Which will prevent "Looking for Assistance" from turning into "Looking for Ass..." (if truncated to 15 chars).

Of course, manually setting the maxlength attribute in the php file is easy enough.

Paul wrote:

It it helps in your deliberations, there is no convenient css way of doing it.

i really don't know what i'm talking about here so this might be stupid, but could it not be done like the quote box so that it would be truncated to the size of the screen... would be very cool if it could