Topic: home network troubles

ok i get an error-like thing on my network connections, it says: "Limited or no connectivity". i have 2 comps with xp pro sp2, 2 cat5 cables a real basic ethernet hub/router and both puters get the same error. i've tried to manually make the connection but to no avail. i've tried it with zone alarm and the windows firewall both off and i get nothing. if i unplug the cat5 from the hub/router i get the "network cable unplugged" error immediately so i think that rules out the hub/router. any ideas? if you need any more info let me know. should i connect them directly without the hub and only one cable?

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: home network troubles

i had the same problem with 3 computer on a school network of about 20 PCs... changing the network cards seemed to fix it though, also you can't just connect them directly you need a crossover cable to connect 2 PCs without a hub/switch.

3 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2004-12-06 10:45)

ok... update:
i fixed the problem with the error by manually inputing an ip address for my local network but now i can't use printer or file sharing. both computers "see" each other but can't share anything, and sharing turned on and there are things to share on each one. it keeps saying i don't have permission. the guest user accounts are turned on for both also and i can ping each other by name and ip so that isn't a problem. all firewalls off and still nothing.

thanks Connorhd for the quick reply.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

if you have the same account on both computers with different passwords you could get that erros otherwise it should either prompt you for a username and pasword with access or just work... a few things:

are the computers both members of the same workgroup?

try making the same user with the same password on both computers, log into it on both then see if htey can see each other

open a command prompt and type "ipconfig" (without "") and see if they both have different IP addresses but the same default gateway

check the router is configured properly to be a DHCP server