Topic: Problem with sending mails

Hello,

When my forum is trying to send a mail to somebody (when there is a subscription or new registration) there appears the following error message:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message: "502 unimplemented (#5.5.1) ". 

Do you have any idea what is the problem? I checked the e-mail configuration in the admin options and it is correct.

Re: Problem with sending mails

First of all, have you filled out SMTP username and SMTP password? In that case, are you sure you have to? Try without them.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The problem is still present on my forum. I asked my provider and he said that there is a bug in the forum code. In his opinion the script is giving only LF and it should be preceded by CR. He gave me a link describing the bug http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html

Is he right? Is it really a bug in the script?

Yes, he's right. The problem has been fixed in PunBB 1.2. In the meantime, see this topic for a workaround.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I did the correction in include/email.php but there is still an error. When I tried to send an e-mail through the forum:
http://www.bulgaricus.com/forum/misc.php?email=116
the following error message appears:
"An error was encountered
Error: Unable to send e-mail. Please contact the forum administrator with the following error message: "502 unimplemented (#5.5.1) ".  "

502 means that a command that PunBB sent isn't implemented on the mail server. Are you using authentication? I.e. have you entered a username and password in admin/options? If so, are you sure you should?

It was filled in. I changed it and now it works. Thanks a lot!