Topic: Integrating punbb with my own site

I have a website that already has a login system (custom written). This is used for a lot features on the site. There is a forum, but it is not that great. For some time I've been looking for a good forum, but was never able to find one. PunBB looks good so far, the template support is good, I can integrate it into my site easy.

But here's the task. I don't want users to register for the board. As soon as they login on the website, they must be able to use the forum. So I want to be able to use my current user table. But at the same time I want the use the forum's feature such as groups and permissions, so I need PunBB's user table as well.

My current usertable is base as (unique id, non-unique username, unique e-mail), while PunBB's is (unique id, unique username, unique e-mail). Furthermore I saw PunBB stores the username in the cookie, not the userid (something I think is better...). Is this all the same in version 1.2?

How easy/hard would it be to integrate the two? Before I start hacking all the code I want some opinions. Have other people done this, and how easy it? I don't mind coding a lot, but I want to be able to upgrade without doing an awful lot.

Re: Integrating punbb with my own site

would you not be able to use the same database you are using for your site for the forums aswell???
what database is it that you are using?

It's all in the same database, just a different table. I have a table 'users' for the website and now 'forum_users' for PunBB. Somehow these two need to be connected, and make sure the user also logs in when login in on the website.

can u not put them both into the same table?