Topic: Licences

I have this piece of software that I wrote a while back. When I first released it I didn't know much(anything) about software licenses, and the truth is that I"m still sketchy on the subject. I ignorantly released the piece under GPL(being pressured into choosing from a list of liceneses). Now I am considering what to change the license to. I don't know anything about licenses, does anyone know what kind of license would fit these qualifications?

- You can't take my software and redistribute it under a different name
- You can't steal parts of the code and claim it as yours
- You can't resell the software

Thanks
John

Re: Licences

Write your own.

Do remember that you might run into problems if you incorporate code from other scripts with different licenses.

Yea I know that why I make sure to write _everything_ powerportal myself. tongue

I take it that this thread is related to the other one about incorporating PunBB into Power Portal?

There are many licenses to look at, the Mozilla Public license, the Apache license and of course, the GPL. And like Andy said, you can do your own.

The only reason I prefer GPL based software is that I can continue with it should the original author decide to abandon the code. I've been burned too many times learning the idiosyncracies of closed source software and then the company is bought out, goes under, etc. Then I have all this useless knowledge that I can' apply to anything else.

I'm not saying the Rickard will abandon PunBB anytime soon but times change, people change and priorities are re-sorted. I know that all the time I am spending on PunBB, is time well spent, time not wasted in my view.

A list of Open Source licenses can be found here:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

The no-resell requirement makes it quite hard to find an existing license. You could have a look at Microsoft Shared Source License it might point you in the right direction.
I believe that, unlike the GPL, the license text itself is MS property and cannot be used without approval from MS (I'm not 100% sure about this, I haven't checked with Legal).