Topic: conversions.... 1.2, mirgration, plugins etc.

ok, i have a website that uses phpBB 2.0.11 and i dont really want to change it because i know punBB doesnt have polls and private message systems (i run punbb on my site, but not the one in question).

1. i am at a delema because punBB 1.2 releases in a few days, and i wont know if any of those plugins work for 1.2 or if they will be developed soon after release.

2. i dont know if the conversion tool makes a compleat new database for punBB or if it renames everything in the phpBB database for punbb...  (basically if something goes wrong i want to just delete teh punbb folder and rename the phpBB folder to normal and still raintain function, isntead of having to reinstall the backup i did. (easy way out tongue)

3. and after the conversion im still not sure if things will work because of 1.2... will the migration tool be fixed by the author to support 1.2? has anyone contacted him?

if someone can respond to what they know in the
style format it would be helpfull, even if u dont know say number 2 or 3 or 1 or wahtever just put "dunno". thanks (makes it easier to read and comprehand.

Re: conversions.... 1.2, mirgration, plugins etc.

1. they will probably be developed for 1.2 reasonably soon after it is released
2. it imports into the punbb tables it doesn't replace your old ones...
http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e0mool/punbb/files/converters_beta2.png

Chacmool wrote:

I've now updated the converter so it can handle PunBB 1.2.

Download the beta here.

What you would do is simple (ignore connor's response wink)

1. Copy the phpBB database using phpmyadmin
2. Upload the conversion tool made by chacmool
3. Run it on the new database to convert it to a PunBB 1.1.5 forum.
4. Once 1.2 is released, download it and use the upgrade tool to convert your 1.1.5 forum to 1.2
(BTW, these are the steps to install it, not to answer your questions tongue)
done smile

Indocron
$theQuestion = (2*b) || !(2*b);

no, the convertor will work with 1.2 and the convertor does not destroy your old database

5 (edited by mindlessoath 2005-01-03 04:29)

you guys have been helpfull! thanks.

i think i will wait for 1.2 to release then use the beta updater (i guess i will have to search for the link tongue)

6 (edited by mindlessoath 2005-01-03 05:23)

ohh btw, if i use the current mods for private messages and etc for 1.1.5, do those get removed when converting to 1.2?
how does that work?

cause it says in the converter readme to install those first then convert it.

hrm... nvrmind, i guess im just going to wait for 1.2 and the plugins when they come.