Topic: Also wanting to know how to get an RSS feed to my front page.

Im also wondering the exact steps I need to take to get posts made in the forum to show up as recent posts in a small box in my menu like punbb.org has done.  Any help would be awesome.  Thanks for helpin a noob =]

Ryan

Home Decor Lighting - The SEO Project

Re: Also wanting to know how to get an RSS feed to my front page.

Read faq.html that was included in the download.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Ok i installed it, but if you goto my webpage youll see that there are quite a few errors.  It pulls in my header and stuff where i call the RSS feeds to...why is this?

I can't see any errors?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

goto the main site of my homedecorlighting.com  im keeping the error up...

the error is that it is pulling into my page the header and what comes after the header that I have placed in the index.php file...or what ever file is reading it for that matter

Ok so now i fixed it lol... how do i set the specific style sheets to be read for the RSS feeds.

off topic:
the way your including your forum doesn't work... the output is messed up in firefox probably due to having

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html dir="ltr">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Home Decor Lighting Message Board</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style/Lithium.css">
</head>
<body>

halfway through the page what you should do is include or add the bits above and below the forum to main.tpl NOT include the forum from another page or edit the forum files if possible

Ok so i need to find a file called main.tpl and add in my header information there???

Yes. main.tpl can be found in include/template/

PunBB FAQ Page wrote:

3.3.  How do I add my own footer and header so that I can integrate my forums into design of the rest of my website?

For this purpose, PunBB has a simple template system. The template files are located in include/template/. There are three templates - main.tpl, maintenance.tpl and redirect.tpl. The file main.tpl contains the template for almost all pages that are displayed in the forum, the file maintenance.tpl is the template for the message page that is displayed when the forum is put in maintenance mode, and finally the file redirect.tpl is used to display the redirect pages e.g. when logging in or when posting a message.

The templates contain variables that are replaced with actual content when a page is displayed. All variables in PunBB are enclosed in less-than and more-than signs (< and >). For example, the variable for the title of the forums is called <pun_title>. When PunBB displays the index page, it reads the file main.tpl and replaces <pun_title> with the title of the forums. There are 11 replacement variables in main.tpl.

If you want to customize the look of PunBB so that it fits the design of other pages on your website, it is primarily the template files you should edit. For example, if you wanted to add your own logo at the top of all forum pages, you would edit main.tpl and add HTML for displaying your logo at the appropriate position in the file. It is possible to include PHP scripts from the templates. See the next FAQ entry for more info on that.

3.4.  Is it possible to include my own PHP scripts in the templates?

Yes. PunBB has a special replacement variable called pun_include for including scripts in the templates. For example, if you wanted to include a script called banner.php (located in the forum root directory) at the bottom of all forum pages, you would add the following to your template files:

<pun_include "banner.php">

The path to banner.php is relative to the forum root directory. PunBB will execute the script and the pun_include variable will be replaced by any output that the script produces. Please note that all included scripts have access to the PunBB variables, so if you e.g. wanted to access the database, you could use the $db object just like the rest of PunBB does. Replacement of the pun_include variable is the last thing that PunBB does when it outputs a page, so you don't have to worry about not using variable names that PunBB uses.

3.5.  I want to display information from the forums on my website's front page. How can I do this?

The script extern.php found in the forum root directory can output various bits of information from the forums. This script can be called via a PHP include command or through the use of Server Side Includes (SSI). For more information on this, see the usage instructions at the top of the script extern.php.

3.6.  Does PunBB provide RSS feeds for recent discussions?

Yes. The script extern.php can produce RSS 0.91 feeds on recent discussions. For example, to syndicate news about the 15 most recently active topics, visit the URL:

http://path.to.forum.root/extern.php?ac … p;type=RSS

To receive news about the 15 newest topics, the URL is:

http://path.to.forum.root/extern.php?ac … p;type=RSS

More information on the different possibilities can be found in the usage instructions located at the top of the script extern.php in the forum root directory.

if you have any other questions read through the faqs alot of the normal stuff is covered in it tongue

I have one quick question actually.  Goto my message board.   www.homedecorlighting.com/forum/ and you can see that it is not picking up on my styles that I had set for it..is there a reason for this?

you have put:
<link href="./Sulfur.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
in main.tpl which is wrong you should put <pun_head>

ryant, can i just ask u something about your forum. why have you not got powered by punbb copyright 2002-2005 Rickard Anderson on it?
that is not fair. you should have it added.

mark36ph wrote:

ryant, can i just ask u something about your forum. why have you not got powered by punbb copyright 2002-2005 Rickard Anderson on it?
that is not fair. you should have it added.

actually - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2165 - he doesn't although i think he should as well wink

i have got it on mine still, even tough people dont look at my forum *HINT HINT*

offtopic again:
Only logged in users are allowed to read this forum. thats annoying, also whats your site about and also do you want the forum you registered on mypunbb?

18 (edited by mark36ph 2005-01-05 17:37)

Connorhd wrote:

Only logged in users are allowed to read this forum.

i have made it so you can read forum now.

Connorhd wrote:

do you want the forum you made on mypunbb

no sorry. i was trying to see if i could just do something.

well not really much to see tongue you really do need a purpose or topic tongue

i know. if i knew wot to put on i would put it on

yeh people usually think about that before making a site tongue