Re: Announcing: PunMod beta v0.9.2

yeh it would have to be something like that, i can't see another way to do it :S

done,

http://www.mindplay.dk/temp/punmod094.zip

just the prefix thing for now, let me know how that works for you...

anyone been testing this? smile

I hope someone is, this is something that deserves a lot of support.

yeh sorry i intented to test the prefix thing but i just forgot... anyway seems to work fine big_smile

my mod... http://66.98.138.31/~connorhd/rating.pun all in one package i love it wink

neat! smile

I've been talking to Kristoffer Jansson (punres.org) and hopefully we'll work together at some point and integrate PunMod with his site - possibly with a liveupdate feature and integration with PunBB's administration system, time will tell how far we get ... at the moment I'm not doing much, since my right hand is broken and typing takes forever, but after new year, hopefully I'll find some time to finish what I've started wink

cool, i hope this gets properly done as its a great idea and a really well implemented tool big_smile

bump

its sticky...

I'm still here smile

Major changes have been made to PunMod since the last release - it now works with a transparent backup system, which means it starts out by archiving your whole PunBB installation to a single backup file, from which it restore dynamically; if you don't understand what this means, it basically means you can now add/remove sourcecode changes fully dynamically, e.g. add/remove mods as you please, or undo all mod changes and revert to your original PunBB installation.

However, major work lies ahead - one of the next things I have to do, is of course test and integrate it with PunBB v1.2.

But there is also a major challenge in making database commands which can fully support both install and uninstall.

What this will probably mean, is that commands like ##SQL and ##RUN will have to be dropped. This may sound pretty drastic, but both are virtually impossible to undo, and therefore can't possibly be properly supported. Instead, the ##ADD command will be replace with something more flexible, allowing for table/column/index creation with automatic undo.

Also done is a custom archive format support library (using zlib), currently only used for backup/restore, but which will be used for single-file mod support. Also, subfolders under the punmods folder is supported now, so you can already organize mods and their dependency files more neatly - not that this will be necessary really, once single file "mod archives" are fully supported.

Anyways, that's the status at the moment.

I'll put up a newer version for testing the new improvements at your request. smile

Almost sounds too good to be true mindplay. Great work smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Here's the current version:

http://www.mindplay.dk/temp/punmod095b2.zip

Be sure to test this version on a test installation of PunBB - please test at your own risk.

Be sure to read the instructions on the pages, in order to fully understand what's going on - the backup/restore system is a major change from the way previous versions worked, and has not been tested extensively yet, so be careful please.

The first thing you should do, is perform a backup, and then a restore, to verify that the restore operation is working and has all the permissions it needs to complete - once you've seen both backup and restore working, it should be safe to try applying the included mods; none of the included mods make any database modifications, only source code changes. The ##SQL and ##RUN commands are still supported at the moment, but will almost certainly be deprecated.

Important: you're welcome to test this on PunBB v1.2 if you like, but most likely the mods supplied with this distribution will work for v1.1.x only, because of the extensive changes in the v1.2 source code. PunMod has not yet been tested on v1.2.

Lastly, to reiterate: test at your own risk wink

Maybe the simplest solution would be simply to enforce SQL commands always appearing in two - one for adding the modification, one for removal, e.g.:

##SQL mysql

ALTER TABLE `punbb`.`users`
  ADD COLUMN `mytext` text NULL;

##UNSQL mysql

ALTER TABLE `punbb`.`users`
  DROP COLUMN `mytext`;

Maybe this would be the most flexible and simple solution. Any comments on this?

would probably be best since it allows for all situations wink

That's what I thought ...

And what do you think about dropping the ##RUN command? - I'm not too fond of this command myself, since it could cause all kinds of havoc ... besides, why would anyone really need it? If you can already make source code modiciations, install new scripts and files, and flexibly alter the database, what possible use could anyone have for the the ##RUN command?

I agree with both adding "UNSQL" and removing the RUN command. Good ideas both of them.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Good, then that's final smile

Anyone had time to wrestle with the last test release yet? I would like to know how the backup/restore system works for you, and what you think of this solution in general...

sorry i been a bit busy so i havent tested yet but it sounds great i'll try it this weekend also i noticed - http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5779

just a thing that I thought of when I wrote my .pun.. actually I really miss that you can't make punmod replace ALL occurence of a string

If PunMod finds your search text in more than one    location, it will produce an error

which is good if that's not what you intended, but you should be able to do it.. maybe a command like: "FINDALL" or something?

I'm not sure what use that would be? - it operates on entire lines only, you can't replace substrings within lines.

I could support this of course, but it might be risky - what if certain lines in newer versions contain that particular data you were searching for, but it's something you DON'T want replaced? All sorts of random things could happen if we allowed something like this ... also, there's no guarantee that mod authors would be careful enough to ensure that they don't accidentally replace stuff in five different places when they were trying to replace something in just two places.

I think I prefer the search to be as explicit as possible - it's the safest way to avoid carelessness/lazyness from the mod developers ... a search and replace command could really cause havoc.

do you have a specific example? what would you search and replace?

i just tryed this and it dont work for punbb 1.2.1 could you up date it please.

I will, eventually - but for the time being, I haven't even had time to install and test PunBB v1.2 ... too busy in "real life", new girlfriend and stuff - sorry ... I will update it eventually, just don't know at the moment when I'll have time smile

okay, I've lost interest in this project, and I just don't have enough spare time to invest in this now...

I've asked Rickard if he wanted to take over and make PunMod an official component of PunBB, but he doesn't have the time either.

so I'm looking for someone to adopt the project - if you're interested, send me an email, and I'll provide the latest version of the source code. It's fairly well structured and commented, so it shouldn't be too much work to figure it out - and I'll of course be happy to answer questions and provide help to get you started.

so... any takers? smile

aww and you've done such a great job so far, i would personally love to take it on but i'm worried i've taken on too much other stuff already, lol so if no one else wants it then i'll consider it wink